Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - the holes are not drilled oversize, just not tapped. I don't see any real porosity issues, but will probably assemble with a gasket sealant anyway.

So, I guess I'm the only one so far with this issue... My luck...
Only a time issue, Huztl has a 12 month defects in materials and workmanship warranty with all shipping covered by them. PS, If they do not want it returned, even the cheap chinese tap sets will do a good job on aluminum and mag castings. It is best to use a drill press or mill to start each one to ensure a straight thread. Taps have a counterbore on the tap handle end...chuck a short steel point in the drill press then center it at the case hole and clamp the case in place. Raise the presses arbor and use the chucked point to just snug up to the tap and hold it while making a few threads to ensure a good square start.

Thanks Johnnybar -

Tapping it isn't really an issue (other than the fact that I don't have an M5 tap on hand, and of course the ever present risk of snapping the tap - even if its machined tapped)) - it's the principle of the matter.. missing those tapped holes is a pretty big QA fail... I have full machine shop in the barn (manual and cnc mills and lathes - its a hobby), but like your idea for getting the hole aligned with the quill without knowing the existing hole's orientation to the rest of the part..

Gotcha and I'm the same way...after waiting for it to arrive then this!!!!!!!!! It's like the year you got a bag of red hots for Christmas instead of that pony you wanted:(....actually happened to my wife...lol

Gotcha and I'm the same way...after waiting for it to arrive then this!!!!!!!!! It's like the year you got a bag of red hots for Christmas instead of that pony you wanted:(....actually happened to my wife...lol

That and just dealing with it, just because I can, only send the message to Hutzl/Farmertec that this kind of QA/QC failure is acceptable, and the same sort of thing continues to happen to other folks. Accountability...

That and just dealing with it, just because I can, only send the message to Hutzl/Farmertec that this kind of QA/QC failure is acceptable, and the same sort of thing continues to happen to other folks. Accountability...

Here's the generic Hutzl response... if you press them, you'll get a replacement part.

Today we have confirmed with our worker and technician, the broken parts could not affect its using.

This problem rarely happened before. We always want to offer good products and service to all of our customers, but sometimes we are helpless at the problem occurs in the transportation. Since the problem happened, we hope we can help you solve it properly. We have confirmed with our technicians several times about this problem, and this won’t affect the normal using. But we understand you bought a brand new item.So here we hope to make partial refund of $20.00 to compensate you in this case.

We understand this may affect your mood in this problem, but we hope you can trust us. We have sold plenty of chainsaw parts and complete chainsaws in our business and we have met many kinds of problem. If we don't have confidence, we won't promise you that those factors won't affect using. To cheat you is absolutely no good to us.

Thanks Johnnybar -

Tapping it isn't really an issue (other than the fact that I don't have an M5 tap on hand, and of course the ever present risk of snapping the tap - even if its machined tapped)) - it's the principle of the matter.. missing those tapped holes is a pretty big QA fail... I have full machine shop in the barn (manual and cnc mills and lathes - its a hobby), but like your idea for getting the hole aligned with the quill without knowing the existing hole's orientation to the rest of the part..

Ok, Antartica, I gotta say something here. You have a full machine shop in the barn ... (enviable by most on this site) ... but no m5 tap on hand? the m5 is one of the most useful taps if you end up doing saw work. m6 and m4 are close seconds. I think its m5x.8 that you need. Even the harbor freight metric tap set should have one of these, and I can't imagine that'd cost you more than $40 for the whole set. of course, thats one of the first ones that I broke myself, ... or had to create a flat bottom tap... i forget, so eventually you'll need a bunch more m5's.

Though it seems like this is kinda a dumb thing for them to miss, the reality is that its far easier to find a tap and tap it yourself than to fight with hutzl over this. AND, the no threads issue is a FAR easier fix than some of the other issues people have had. Consider yourself fortunate.

What's the typical shipping time on these that folks have seen? I ordered one on the 16th and got confirmation of the order same day but no shipment confirmation yet.

What's the typical shipping time on these that folks have seen? I ordered one on the 16th and got confirmation of the order same day but no shipment confirmation yet.

It used to be 10 days to the door but it's been slow lately. My last order took 10 days before it even shipped and another 6 days to get here. Your best bet is to keep harping on Evie at [email protected]

Ok, Antartica, I gotta say something here. You have a full machine shop in the barn ... (enviable by most on this site) ... but no m5 tap on hand? the m5 is one of the most useful taps if you end up doing saw work. m6 and m4 are close seconds. I think its m5x.8 that you need. Even the harbor freight metric tap set should have one of these, and I can't imagine that'd cost you more than $40 for the whole set. of course, thats one of the first ones that I broke myself, ... or had to create a flat bottom tap... i forget, so eventually you'll need a bunch more m5's.

Though it seems like this is kinda a dumb thing for them to miss, the reality is that its far easier to find a tap and tap it yourself than to fight with hutzl over this. AND, the no threads issue is a FAR easier fix than some of the other issues people have had. Consider yourself fortunate.

Hi Mattyo -

Nope - no M5 tap on hand that I can think of. Why? In 30 years of futzing with stuff, I've never needed one. Probably never will beyond this either. Its a misconception that every machine shop, either commercial or hobby/part-time/side line (even though my equipment is used, straight off the manufacturing floor) stocks ever piece of tooling known to man. It would simply be a waste of money for a lot of tooling never needed. Shops buy tooling according to need, and if its left over after the job, then they may happen to have it on hand. Why would I buy a whole set of cheap ass taps that I'll never use? Experience shows that its better to buy 3 high quality ones when I need them. Depending on the tap, I might not even tap it but thread mill it.

As for tooling sources, well, you get what you pay for - especially with tooling. HF may have a time an a place with a lot of folks, and I think I even have one of those cheap SAE sets bouncing around the shop (I guess it might be good for teaching the boy to tap some day, rather than have him break good taps) as well as a few other non-critical tools (I was actually thinking of using this project as an excuse to pick up a cheap press from HF), but if/when I do elect to tap this thing (and there's no reason I shouldn't hold Hutzl accountable such an error) I'll probably do so with a quality bottom tap with another in my back pocket.

I don't really consider myself fortunate having received a primary component that isn't usable in the state received.

At first huztl will offer a refund and you keep the part. If you refuse then they will ship you another. That's what went down with the crack in my oil tank.
1920f6174aada5ea418fd6f03e531693.jpg

Thanks davhul -

I'll take a look for that also. I still haven't made it thoroughly through all 105 pages of this thread (I'm in the process of doing so now and noting posts that are particularly important/informative).

So far I've had no response from them, but its only been a day.

They got back with me about 1:30am eastern. My other 2 kits were fine. Other than I had to use the adjuster bushing. Glad they got that fixed.

Far as I can see....crack in an oil tank is a different ballgame than lack of threads. Neither are usable parts out of the box. ..but one is much more easily remidied...

If you are as experienced as your setup indicates...it'll take you minutes to fix the tap issue...whereas a Crack in a housing ...though weldable....is far more fatal an issue.

Antarctica. ...if you need an m5 tap I'll ship you one gratis.

It used to be 10 days to the door but it's been slow lately. My last order took 10 days before it even shipped and another 6 days to get here. Your best bet is to keep harping on Evie at [email protected]
yep, my order was put in on 2-15 in the evening and i just (week later) on the confirmation it shipped on 2-21. currently it's in Hong Kong

Far as I can see....crack in an oil tank is a different ballgame than lack of threads. Neither are usable parts out of the box. ..but one is much more easily remidied...
I'm just telling him what to expect.
I have the extra case for it if it ever leaks. For now I'm running it with dirko and no leak. I'll tear it down if I have to.
This is a pic as of today
a5e0297adde372ceee716eef471e5d3d.jpg

I'm just telling him what to expect.
I have the extra case for it if it ever leaks. For now I'm running it with dirko and no leak. I'll tear it down if I have to.
This is a pic as of today
a5e0297adde372ceee716eef471e5d3d.jpg
Those PepsiCola cans always act up when making chainsaw cases out of them! Looks like it is at the top of the oil reservoir near the muffler....guess that's better than at the bottom.

UPS came while in the yard. Thought he was going to hand me the taps that I bought off ebay. Instead he had the kit from Huztl. Ill un pack it tonight. I checked the case threads and so far they seem to be there. Ordered it on the 14th. Surprised to see it today. I got to finish some wood projects up and start on it this weekend. Going to build this one with the cross p&c. That came yesterday..

Attachments

• Ms 660.JPG
    Ms 660.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 21
UPS came while in the yard. Thought he was going to hand me the taps that I bought off ebay. Instead he had the kit from Huztl. Ill un pack it tonight. I checked the case threads and so far they seem to be there. Ordered it on the 14th. Surprised to see it today. I got to finish some wood projects up and start on it this weekend. Going to build this one with the cross p&c. That came yesterday..
Ordered my 660 on the 13th but I'm in Oklahoma so maybe in the next day or two???????????? Evie at Huztl has been no help with a tracking number that is valid with SF Express or any other carrier.

Evie told me today that they didn't ship my kit yet (ordered on the 16th) because the BB kit I ordered was out of stock. But didn't tell me when it was getting back in stock....

Back