Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Davhul does the ms880 spur gear a match for the Huztl 660? I have same problem on my two Huztl 660's. The Huztl spur gears are not made of hardened material, they are soft like aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure yet. I ordered it today and will be in Monday. I'm going to interrogate it more tomorrow with the oem gears again and video what's going on and see if anyone else has that issue

Looks like FarmerTec offset the spur gear for some reason or other. The earlier models matched Stihl sizes. All the rest of the chain adjuster parts match.

I have a Huztl 361 I have not put together yet. I will compare spur gears with my Stihl Ms361 tomorrow.

Yes, problem is Huztl spur gear is right for spot but cannot be replace with smaller Stihl spur gear. Stihl gear barley makes contact with chain adjuster gear.

That's what I ran into. But I was in a hurry and just put my spare huztl in for him and said be careful til I know what's going on.

Another observation/question. I see some had issues with shearing flywheel key ways...I haven't, going on dealing with 10 so far between mine and a couple of buds where I did the bottom end work for them. What's going on with that?

I sheared one because the plastic cover screw right at the top apex of the flywheel can be tightened enough to directly impinge on the flywheel, not a lot of clearance there, now I use one of the short screws for the topmost AV bushing (the one that bolts to the case with two short screws) to replace that one cover screw, it's short enough that it will never impinge on the flywheel.

And $100 shipping. A good oem used one goes for $650. Hell naw

The Piltz Boyz sure are trying to cash in on them. I'm surprised that the Stihl clan hasn't descended from their lofty heights to put a stop to it.

Maybe because there isn't a lot of reason to buy a $300 dollar kit, not even a built saw; with no dealer or factory support for $800 including shipping? Who would buy that package at that price? Sort of wish Stihl would do what Husqvarna did and get the price points for top ends right and sell right into these AM saw builds. Would help keep those older 066-MS660's a viable option. I personally object to the concept of selling these kits as complete saws into the general marketplace. A lot of reasons why. Not going to post a book. Conversely the concept of grabbing a pile of parts for a saw puzzle is a lot of fun be it AM or some blend with OEM as a starting point. A great opportunity to learn a class of saw as well. I never would have even considered a orange & white saw option because I have so many Husqvarna/Jonsered options..no reason to. But originally having to fix log and skidder "crushed" Stihl's opened the door to seeing the totality of these parts and it didn't take long to ask the question....is there enough AM parts to build a clone? Originally for me it was simply to test then prove its ok to consider them in a pinch as I didn't have a source of Stihl parts to support a few logger friends. Now a couple of years later I am a total fan of the old now obsolete Stihl 064-MS660 saw series. Plan to show true German iron I've added to the collection and later I will show in subsequent video's I've gone to adding more OEM content and better quality content on things like clutch assemblies, ignitions, carbs. Simply because now these parts pile saws I had put together a couple of years back have become an integral part of my operation. Much to the chagrin of some in my circles... :)

Ok this is what's going on with the chain adjuster on my 3 kits. The slot that the screw gear sits in is to large so it has slop and pushes away from the adjustment gear and strips. This is comparing it to my 1989 064 so it might be worn a little more than a new 660. On my 064 the clearance of play is .004
The huztl is the width of my small snap on screw driver .050 hence the reason for the larger gear. I hope the 088 gear will do it because if not I might drill and pin it tighter with a hardened pin. Not sure yet.
fb8d90106b3d4c50725f0996973eefcc.jpg
4d4177676e4dd78d403be6ca99da119f.jpg
2494f897e23c8ff121a0b9c102a6f4b1.jpg
eafa058920218edd17f785abc0077dc5.jpg

When you guys are ordering the OEM chain adjuster which pieces are you replacing. Not sure which numbers I need to order here.

13,15. You can try it but it's not working out on mine. Maybe you'll be lucky

OK thanks. Maybe I'll wait and check out the Huztl piece before ordering an OEM. Just checked and my order has shipped! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here.

Maybe because there isn't a lot of reason to buy a $300 dollar kit, not even a built saw; with no dealer or factory support for $800 including shipping? Who would buy that package at that price? Sort of wish Stihl would do what Husqvarna did and get the price points for top ends right and sell right into these AM saw builds. Would help keep those older 066-MS660's a viable option. I personally object to the concept of selling these kits as complete saws into the general marketplace. A lot of reasons why. Not going to post a book. Conversely the concept of grabbing a pile of parts for a saw puzzle is a lot of fun be it AM or some blend with OEM as a starting point. A great opportunity to learn a class of saw as well. I never would have even considered a orange & white saw option because I have so many Husqvarna/Jonsered options..no reason to. But originally having to fix log and skidder "crushed" Stihl's opened the door to seeing the totality of these parts and it didn't take long to ask the question....is there enough AM parts to build a clone? Originally for me it was simply to test then prove its ok to consider them in a pinch as I didn't have a source of Stihl parts to support a few logger friends. Now a couple of years later I am a total fan of the old now obsolete Stihl 064-MS660 saw series. Plan to show true German iron I've added to the collection and later I will show in subsequent video's I've gone to adding more OEM content and better quality content on things like clutch assemblies, ignitions, carbs. Simply because now these parts pile saws I ha d & together a couple of years back have become an integral part of my operation. Much to the chagrin of some in my circles... :)
Grabbing a pile of parts......or opening bid of $5 on 064 disassembled by one who has unsure of what to do once got to the point crankase w/piston sticking out. original parts no B&C or brake handle .....box o parts need to rebuild for my own education,enjoyment,use & it's a saw size I'd not buy complete since the 046-ms 460 &066 really don't need a4th saw in betweener.

Latest posts

Back