Huztl rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most rings will work. It's easy to break them. BTDT

When inserting a ring into a piston's groove, try this. Place the center of the back of the ring above the groove first, not the ends. Now slowly bring both ends around the top of the piston at the same time, working back to front. Gradually drop them down into the desired groove with the ends going in last. I work top down and install the bottom ring first. It's always nerve wracking, but it works for me and it's been about 40 pistons since I have broken a ring. A little lube on the inside of the ring doesn't hurt either.

Oh, and don't try to do it after a few beers. Save the beers for afterwards.

I started at one end and tried to work around. I'll try your way next time.
Since you ordered a pair of rings to replace the one you broke, practice with the remaining one until the replacements arrive. Practice makes perfect. Removing one works in the reverse -- ends first and slowly lifting up towards the back center.

The cheap Huztl piston Mars/scratches real easy. It almost feels like that plastic metal, if that makes sense. My wife asked me why I didn't buy the better parts, so she basically gave me a green light if this one doesn't work out to get better quality. AKA spend more money.lol

Well I was easily able to install the rings but broke another putting on the cylinder. Luckily I still had one of the Huztl rings. So now I have one of each on it. Broke one of the cabers forcing the cylinder on..... This was another one of those learning experiences. I definitely think it will be easier next time.

One more thing about the Huztl stuff. The cylinder mounting holes where not perfect. The front left hole was off just a bit so when I was screwing in the mounting bolt the threads of the bolt grabbed the cylinder head and bound up a bit. I was able to tighten it down all the way but my forearm looked like Popeyes.

Well I was easily able to install the rings but broke another putting on the cylinder. Luckily I still had one of the Huztl rings. So now I have one of each on it. Broke one of the cabers forcing the cylinder on..... This was another one of those learning experiences. I definitely think it will be easier next time.

One more thing about the Huztl stuff. The cylinder mounting holes where not perfect. The front left hole was off just a bit so when I was screwing in the mounting bolt the threads of the bolt grabbed the cylinder head and bound up a bit. I was able to tighten it down all the way but my forearm looked like Popeyes.
I use locktite on cylinder screws on the AM cylinders.....I rebuild and sell these clamshells, and I don't want them coming out....the screws always seem to "cut" new threads when I screw them in, and yes it's always hard....

My nerves are now shot thinking about you breaking another ring. I forgot to tell you that the ring can also break while installing the piston. BTDT also. Practice makes perfect, and there are ring wraps for sale that make this a lot easier. Live and learn.

I did use the ring compressor but the back of the bottom ring slipped out somehow and that's how I broke it. Definitely will be easier next time. Luckily I had a spare.
Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

I wouldn't trust anything from Huztl - as far as I know they just source cheap stuff and resell it. This is of course the same with other aftermarket "brands" as well - unless they state that the original brand name is Meteor, or some other well reputed AM manufacturer (there aren't many of those).

If you are going to buy what basically it is "no-name" AM stuff, it is much better to buy it directly from Taiwan, than from a "brand" like Huztl - as then you can be reasonably sure it is made in Taiwan, and not in some back yard shop with zero quality control in mainland (red) China. That often makes a major difference.

The cheap Huztl piston Mars/scratches real easy. It almost feels like that plastic metal, if that makes sense. My wife asked me why I didn't buy the better parts, so she basically gave me a green light if this one doesn't work out to get better quality. AKA spend more money.lol
It's bare aluminum as are others. Never seen one that was hard anodized.

I wouldn't trust anything from Huztl - as far as I know they just source cheap stuff and resell it. This is of course the same with other aftermarket "brands" as well - unless they state that the original brand name is Meteor, or some other well reputed AM manufacturer (there aren't many of those).

If you are going to buy what basically it is "no-name" AM stuff, it is much better to buy it directly from Taiwan, than from a "brand" like Huztl - as then you can be reasonably sure it is made in Taiwan, and not in some back yard shop with zero quality control in mainland (red) China. That often makes a major difference.
I saw for fun...fortunately not to pay bills and a $20 top end trade out on a chinese kit saw works for me but I would likely rethink things if the kids bread and milk came from making chips daily.

But is the aluminum used recycled beer cans? Or aluminum alloy made for pistons?

There is a reason I won't buy any food that says produced in China, even for my cats or dogs
I never worried about where the $5 piston comes from or it's hardness as long as odds are the few minutes it takes to install it yields a decent number of hours run time. My FarmerTec/Huztl piston was the same...soft. But numerous first hand reports here, other forums and YT have noted decent performance as long as you don't run a lean or leaky saw...which will kill any powerhead. Jason, Run 32:1 tuned rich to break in and 40:1 or even more lube if worried to run your soft piston. Bet it does fine if you do your part. If Chinese pistons were a big issue, it would be all over the forums.

The lessons learned here are well worth the investment. If I get 50 hours out of it than so be it. I'll buy better next time. I'm definitely not going to loose any sleep over it. As said above, I'm not paying the bills with it. Hell I'm not above putting another AM in after it goes and riding it for another 50 hours.

Thanks again for the help, advise and encouragement. It is appreciated.

Jason.

If Chinese pistons were a big issue, it would be all over the forums.

Sorry, I don't know where you have been or what forums you have been seeing but this stuff has been hashed out over years now, and has been all over fourms.

The general opinions are that most anything Chinese AM parts are terrible. Pistons and cylinders the worst.

It hasn't been my finding that the Hutzl BB 372 P&C is of low quality, except for the odd casting flaw that is easily cleaned up. I have at least 200 cords on three different 372's with the BB kit. No loss of comp in that time with no base gasket. Using the decomp is a must.
For those snapping rings, it's ok to run a single ring in the top groove.

Sorry, I don't know where you have been or what forums you have been seeing but this stuff has been hashed out over years now, and has been all over fourms.
The general opinions are that most anything Chinese AM parts are terrible. Pistons and cylinders the worst.
Not sure if you are referring to this forum but that is not my experience on the forum and with a Huztl 660 kit built milling rig...works literally perfect. I'm sure you are correct in general terms that Chinese copies are worse than OEM but, every thing is in degrees my friend. Before making the Huztl buy, I researched for days and days and I have followed about a dozen fellas on the forums and YT and they all have had great success with hutzl, farmertec and a few other brands of saws and components. Some trade out a bearing here or a seal there for precaution, some don't for testing purposes or just to keep cost to a minimum and rarely does this group of knowledgable builder/sawyer men have issues that $3 - $25 can't fix vs hundreds on an OEM saw. Most that quantify things say, "95% the saw for 25% the money"...and even if they are off considerably on those numbers, bang for buck still far favors aftermarket. But, I don't lose sleep over whether the $20 Cylinder/piston kit will have to be installed in a few months or a year or two down the road...some do. If you need maximum reliability and the warm fuzzy state of mind that $$$$ spent brings some, spend the money and make chips....it's all good.

It hasn't been my finding that the Hutzl BB 372 P&C is of low quality, except for the odd casting flaw that is easily cleaned up. I have at least 200 cords on three different 372's with the BB kit. No loss of comp in that time with no base gasket. Using the decomp is a must.
For those snapping rings, it's ok to run a single ring in the top groove.
Note also that Husky saws only have one ring. I have often wondered why Stihl demands two rings per piston while Husky saws run on and on with just one.

Latest posts

Back