Huztl rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if you are referring to this forum but that is not my experience on the forum and with a Huztl 660 kit built milling rig...works literally perfect. I'm sure you are correct in general terms that Chinese copies are worse than OEM but, every thing is in degrees my friend. Before making the Huztl buy, I researched for days and days and I have followed about a dozen fellas on the forums and YT and they all have had great success with hutzl, farmertec and a few other brands of saws and components. Some trade out a bearing here or a seal there for precaution, some don't for testing purposes or just to keep cost to a minimum and rarely does this group of knowledgable builder/sawyer men have issues that $3 - $25 can't fix vs hundreds on an OEM saw. Most that quantify things say, "95% the saw for 25% the money"...and even if they are off considerably on those numbers, bang for buck still far favors aftermarket. But, I don't lose sleep over whether the $20 Cylinder/piston kit will have to be installed in a few months or a year or two down the road...some do. If you need maximum reliability and the warm fuzzy state of mind that $$$$ spent brings some, spend the money and make chips....it's all good.

you gotta remember those guys cut **** all though. when they say it's a year old no issues it might have 20 tanks through it and i doubt even that much most times. walts never even look dusty! lol not to say hutzl don't work as i have had good luck with their top ends as well. i have a 372 big bore kit i ported and put about 200 tanks on before swapping it out for OEM. after 200 tanks the plating in the hutzl bores looks clapped right the **** out and had peeled up in a few spots. it didn't score but you could see where the peeled plating had cut grooves in the piston. little bit of cleanup and it's on a firewood saw til the day it dies. i requested that the owner come back when the saw dies so i can see the cause. it was ported turning 14.8k the whole time and still is but i am already certain at this point that it's not gonna clock the hours of an OEM top end. i have used a few other of their top ends without any porting but they weren't around long enough to really see how they held up. i'd buy another hutzl 372 big bore though. i recall using a 440 top end from them that really hauled the mail without any porting, felt as strong as OEM.

you gotta remember those guys cut **** all though. when they say it's a year old no issues it might have 20 tanks through it and i doubt even that much most times. walts never even look dusty! lol not to say hutzl don't work as i have had good luck with their top ends as well. i have a 372 big bore kit i ported and put about 200 tanks on before swapping it out for OEM. after 200 tanks the plating in the hutzl bores looks clapped right the **** out and had peeled up in a few spots. it didn't score but you could see where the peeled plating had cut grooves in the piston. little bit of cleanup and it's on a firewood saw til the day it dies. i requested that the owner come back when the saw dies so i can see the cause. it was ported turning 14.8k the whole time and still is but i am already certain at this point that it's not gonna clock the hours of an OEM top end. i have used a few other of their top ends without any porting but they weren't around long enough to really see how they held up. i'd buy another hutzl 372 big bore though. i recall using a 440 top end from them that really hauled the mail without any porting, felt as strong as OEM.
I'm pretty sure these cheap AM jugs are hard chromed, not nikasil, and it is very brittle ( very non ductile). Also, aluminum has about 400% more thermal expansion than chrome, so heat is a chromed jugs worst enemy. Nickel, the base metal in nikasil plating, is much more forgiving when a jug get toasty. I left my Chinese 660 and 390 jugs alone with no plans to hotrod them so, I expect decent life for the cost.

Back