Huztle MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try it on half throttle without choke a couple pulls also just to see. Then try what you mentioned a couple times.

Ok, just went outside and tried to start the saw. No go. Any suggestions? Any possibility of it being a bad carb?

Plug is plenty wet, going to make sure the ignition system is all good and I don't have a sheared flywheel tomorrow. I say that because it's happened once or twice now where the cord won't retract and I have to pull pretty hard to get it unstuck, don't know if the pawls got stuck or what, but I will look into that tomorrow.

Another suggestion pull your carb and raise piston and let it sit overnight. Either clamp or empty the fuel/line. My carb leaked almost poured fuel

Plug is plenty wet, going to make sure the ignition system is all good and I don't have a sheared flywheel tomorrow. I say that because it's happened once or twice now where the cord won't retract and I have to pull pretty hard to get it unstuck, don't know if the pawls got stuck or what, but I will look into that tomorrow.
Could be a metering valve issue in the carb. I have dealt with similar symptom by adjusting the metering lever.

4 pulls on choke 4 pulls on half and the plug came out dry. Poured a little down the throat pops a few times and starts on half throttle.

No issues once running, carb tunes holds idle but wonders up and down just a little. I don't have a bar on it so it is a little jumpy on the bench. I feel like it has to be an issue with the impulse. I guess I'll pull the carb apart and check the spring and metering lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a tach? You can get the low side close using lean drop off method.

Yeah I have one. I've set to 3000 with la tuned max rpm on L to about 3450, dropped it back to 3000 with la, set 2800 with L. Set h by ear with a good 4 stroke.

I didn't look up Stihls 361 carb setting, pretty sure what I used was the 660s.

Could be a metering valve issue in the carb. I have dealt with similar symptom by adjusting the metering lever.
I thought about that too. It is currently adjusted to just a hair below the top of the carb with the oem spring. Is it supposed to be different than what I have it set at?

I thought about that too. It is currently adjusted to just a hair below the top of the carb with the oem spring. Is it supposed to be different than what I have it set at?
That's probably fine. If it too high the valve won't seat and you will flood. If it's too low the valve won't open and not get fuel. I try to set them level with the carb body but they have some tolerance.

Ok, update on the no start situation. Checked a bunch of things, no ring catching, ect, still wouldn't fire. Then I switched the carb spring back to the one that came in it. Fired right up. :dumb2: The jets are pretty close to normal settings this time too. I only gave it a rough tune (waiting for a tach) and stuck it in some wood. I have only done a couple of cuts with it, but it's really starting to grow on me now that it is running. Well worth the time it took to put it together.

Ok, update on the no start situation. Checked a bunch of things, no ring catching, ect, still wouldn't fire. Then I switched the carb spring back to the one that came in it. Fired right up. :dumb2: The jets are pretty close to normal settings this time too. I only gave it a rough tune (waiting for a tach) and stuck it in some wood. I have only done a couple of cuts with it, but it's really starting to grow on me now that it is running. Well worth the time it took to put it together.

Interesting indeed.
[emoji848]

I plan on installing the carb out of my second 'kit' in my first one as is, just to see how it acts.

Maybe another weeks wait for delivery.

I'm gonna put the original spring in and see how that affects my problem.

Latest posts

Back