Hydraulic filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a yard machine 27 ton splitter by MTD. I want to change out the filter because it has a few spots of rust on it. MTD states it uses a 723-0405 filter. I have been trying to cross reference it to NAPA/WIX/FRAM. I believe they are 1259/51259/P1654A. I have some conflicting cross information someone said a NAPA 1551/Fram P1653A. I don't care which filter I get as long as its the correct one that wont blow oil all over the place. Someone else said that Fram filters are prone to explosions, any truth to that? My splitter is full of DEXTRON III. The Fram is $7 and the NAPA is $14.

I have a yard machine 27 ton splitter by MTD. I want to change out the filter because it has a few spots of rust on it. MTD states it uses a 723-0405 filter. I have been trying to cross reference it to NAPA/WIX/FRAM. I believe they are 1259/51259/P1654A. I have some conflicting cross information someone said a NAPA 1551/Fram P1653A. I don't care which filter I get as long as its the correct one that wont blow oil all over the place. Someone else said that Fram filters are prone to explosions, any truth to that? My splitter is full of DEXTRON III. The Fram is $7 and the NAPA is $14.

fram is junk, not a big fan of NAPA either, id look for a Baldwin, if not then a WIX

Just for information. Fram was recently sold to Champ Labs. Champ makes alot of OEM filters for manufacturers. The old Fram designs are quickly going away. The new Fram filters are Champ designed. So all of those who dislike Fram can rejoice.

Chuck

Just for information. Fram was recently sold to Champ Labs. Champ makes alot of OEM filters for manufacturers. The old Fram designs are quickly going away. The new Fram filters are Champ designed. So all of those who dislike Fram can rejoice.

Chuck

ill stick with Baldwin :msp_thumbup:

The bright orange the Fram filter are painted make them excellent for target practice, even out to 300 yards.

I understand Wix does make the NAPA filters. The Baldwin's are what we use on the Cummins. Good filters even if they are pricey. I think Amsoil has Baldwin make their filters.

thanks for the replies. I was always under the impression that WIX made filters for NAPA. I will have to head over to NAPA and pick up a filter. Anyone have thoughts on the 1259, is it the correct filter or should I get a different one?

This paste may not be lined up correctly, but you can get the info.
For the 1 inch , paper, short, 10 micron, Napa 1259 is fine. 1628 is the longer can and larger flows, longer life, more dirt holding.

Wix and other numbers are also below.
I am partial to microglass/synthetic elements. Better in every way, except initial cost. Overall cost is less and better filters. Hard to get though.

TYPICAL REPLACEMENT ELEMENTS

1-12 CENTER POST THREAD SAE STANDARD THREADED SPIN-ON ELEMENTS

-Flow rating, by advertising = 20-30 gpm.
-Flow rating, by pressure drops and reasonable design decisions = 10-15 gpm (short cans)
-Can diameter: usually 3.5 to 3.8 inches
-Can length: Short = 5.2 to 5.5 usually, about the size of a full sized auto oil filter.
Long = 7.5 to 8.6 usually. Advantage: more flow capacity, or lower
pressure drop, and more dirt holding. Not easily found in consumer outlets.
-All: no bypass relief, no anti drainback
-Paper (cellulose) media is most common and cheaper. Glass fiber (synthetic) has less pressure drop, better filtration, more dirt holding, and longer life. Most industrial hydraulic filters are glass fiber. I would recommend them if available.
-Paper media has some water removal capability, but very small amounts and only when in low flow (1-3 gpm maybe) circuits. Not effective in higher flow return circuits.
-Water removal elements with crystals absorb larger amounts of water, but not in higher flow return circuits.
-Nominal 10 micron in consumer grade materials may have Beta ratio of only about 2 (removes 50% per pass at 10u.) Thus the recommendation for 10u instead of 20 to 33u.
-Industrial filters of nominal 10 micron may be Beta ratios greater than 200 (removes 99.5% of 10 micron per pass.) For the rating at Beta of 2, this would be equivalent to about a 3 to 5 micron 'consumer' filter.

-My first choice: 10u, long element, glass fiber media.
-My second choice: 10u long element, paper media NAPA 1628
-My third choice: 10u, short element, glass media
-My fourth choice (and most common): 10u, short element, paper media NAPA 1259 or 1551

BRAND PART NUMBER NOMINAL MICRON RATING MEDIA SIZE LENGTH
NAPA 1551 10 PAPER SHORT
NAPA Gold 1259 10 PAPER SHORT
NAPA 1628 10 PAPER LONG 7.8

BALDWIN /HASTINGS BT8428-MPG 10 ? GLASS SHORT
BALDWIN /HASTINGS BT839-10 10 PAPER SHORT

WIX 51551 10 PAPER SHORT

PUROLATOR 20101 10 PAPER SHORT
PUROLATOR 20201 10 PAPER LONG
PUROLATOR 20103 10 GLASS SHORT
PUROLATOR 20203 10 GLASS LONG

ZINGA AE10 10 PAPER SHORT
ZINGA AE10L 10 PAPER LONG 8.2
ZINGA ZAE10 10 GLASS SHORT
ZINGA ZAE10L 10 GLASS LONG 8.2

BRAND PART NUMBER NOMINAL MICRON RATING MEDIA SIZE LENGTH
CHOICES NOT RECOMMENDED, BUT WOULD WORK
NAPA 1552 20 PAPER SHORT
NAPA 1553 33 PAPER SHORT
BALDWIN BT839 (without -10) 33u ?
FRAM 1653A 33 ? PAPER SHORT
CROSS 1A9023 33 ?
NAPA 1772 25 PAPER LONG 7.8
WIX 51553 33 PAPER SHORT

Wix Purolator NAPA A03A10G9 is long glass 10u, but klspecial order?

HIGHER FLOW, LARGER POST SAE SPIN ON

Although the SAE standard is for a 1-1/2 x 16 threaded center post, most filter heads using these larger elements have post threads for two possible elements:

1. The common European filter in this size has 1-1/4 BSPP (1.65 inch thread OD) threads on the post closest to the aluminum casting. The filter housing is similar to an auto oil filter, with the center threaded attachment being roughly flush with the gasket surface. The element gasket is also similar to an auto oil filter, being a flat surface slightly inside of the element outside diameter.

2. The common North American/SAE filter is often called 'Gresen/Cross interchange', from the original manufacturers of this style. Post thread is 1-1/2 x 16, is slightly smaller than the BSPP, and is inset further into the element can. Thus, the head post often has BSPP threads closest to the casting, then 1.50-16 threads further down.
The 'Gresen/Cross' element has the threads inset, forming a cone shaped depression into the end of the element can. The gasket is also at the very outside corner of the element and is typically an L shaped gasket. The gasket is often not included with the element and must be ordered separately.

-Flow rating, by advertising = 30-50 gpm.
-Flow rating, by pressure drops and reasonable design decisions = 25-40 gpm (short can)
-Can diameter: usually 5.0 to 5.1 inches
-Can length: Short = 6.5 to 7 inches
Long = 10.5 to 11 inches. Advantage: more flow capacity, or lower
pressure drop, and more dirt holding
-All: no bypass relief, no anti drainback
-Paper (cellulose) media is most common and cheaper. Glass fiber (synthetic) has less pressure drop, better filtration, more dirt holding, and longer life. Most industrial hydraulic filters are glass fiber. I would recommend them if available.
-Paper media has some water removal capability, but very small amounts and only when in low flow (1-3 gpm maybe) circuits. Not effective in higher flow return circuits.
-Water removal elements with crystals absorb larger amounts of water, but not in higher flow return circuits.

-My first choice:
-My second choice: 10u long element, paper media
-My third choice: 10u, short element, glass media
-My fourth choice (and most common): 10u, short element, paper media NAPA 1746

BRAND PART NUMBER NOMINAL MICRON RATING MEDIA SIZE LENGTH & NOTES
NAPA 1746 5 to10 PAPER SHORT 6.9 no gasket
NAPA Gold 10 PAPER SHORT
NAPA 10 PAPER LONG
GASKET (SEAL)

BALDWIN /HASTINGS 10 ? GLASS SHORT
BALDWIN /HASTINGS 10 PAPER SHORT

WIX 10 PAPER SHORT

MP Filtri
CSG100-A10 <5
GLASS
SHORT

PUROLATOR 10 PAPER SHORT
PUROLATOR 10 PAPER LONG
PUROLATOR 10 GLASS SHORT
PUROLATOR 10 GLASS LONG

ZINGA ZGCE-10 10 GLASS SHORT
ZINGA ZGLE-10 10 GLASS LONG
ZINGA 10 GLASS

kevin j,
Thank you for your post!!!! there was a lot of info in there and it was exactly what I was looking for. I will call around to see if I can get a long glass filter.

I sent you some well deserved rep.

...What about Donaldson filters, or a company called "Killer Filter"? I find both on-line when searching the long glass 10 micron filter part #s.

Donaldson is huge in all filtration
Chk their website just for interest
We use the big industrial dust control systems
Donaldson will be $& and maybe overkill for splitter needs but definetely quality.
Never heard of killer filter.most assuredly private label from somewhere as the startup costs are prohibitive to actually build filter. Maybe they buy media and package it.
Donaldson would be cadillac but worth it.
Napa WixBaldwin all good
Champ labs makes many different wualities for private label
I would avoid Fram although new owners Champ will be interesting.
K

The Donaldson replacement (P179089) for "NAPA A03A10G9 is long glass 10u" above is $20.49 at FPC. Says it's 9 micron. At that price it's way less than the other long glass types I found on the net.

I would not use filter not made for a hydraulic system. I have had fram and Wix deform on my splitters. Buy the ones sold by Zinga or Zanga. I am wondering why your changing the filter? Is your system exposed to.large.amounts of.dirt.and dust?

I ordered the Donaldson hyd filter. My Dad just gave me his 14 year old SpeeCo splitter and the original filter and fluid are in it. He used it a lot the first 12 years then it sat in a garage the past two years. I just want to "start fresh" since it's about to go back to work.

I use Donalson filters at work for all of our filters: oil, water, air, fuel To my knowledge we have never had a filter fail that was used and changed as directed. We run all sythenic fluids, grease, antifreeze etc everything. We run our oil 20k and change filters every 60k not my recommendation but that is what we are doing we have about 1100 truck on the road. They tell us that by using full sythenic fluids and grease we get about .2 mpg better IDK but that's what they say??

I have heard that in the past I have never seen one or heard of some one creditable with these issuses though I use mostly puralotor, mobile one now

my local tractor supply carries lenz hydraulic filters...which came stock on my iron and oak splitter..may give them a try as im shure they are a universal fit

Back