Hydraulic filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a splitter (speeco) and need to change the return line
Filter. Cannot find the spec for the stock filter but speeco initially said the replacement was a wix 51553 ( 33 micron) now after a second call say it is the wix 51551 ( 10 micron) and a list
Of other filters - some 10 micron and some 25 micron
Purchased this 1551 filter and operated the splitter and notice it bogs down where it did not
Previously
And ideas?

I recently bought a splitter (speeco) and need to change the return line
Filter. Cannot find the spec for the stock filter but speeco initially said the replacement was a wix 51553 ( 33 micron) now after a second call say it is the wix 51551 ( 10 micron) and a list
Of other filters - some 10 micron and some 25 micron
Purchased this 1551 filter and operated the splitter and notice it bogs down where it did not
Previously
And ideas?
first off Jeff welcome to AS. the search function is your friend here. there are numerous threads here on splitter problems and fixes. not familiar with your splitter but i have used the NAPA #1259 filter on my troybuilt. good luck.

thanks for the replies. I was always under the impression that WIX made filters for NAPA. I will have to head over to NAPA and pick up a filter. Anyone have thoughts on the 1259, is it the correct filter or should I get a different one?

NAPA gold is made by WIX.I don't know about the NAPA silver.All the filters mentioned,including the fram will do the job on your splitter.Provided it's a hydraulic filter.

NAPA gold is made by WIX.I don't know about the NAPA silver.All the filters mentioned,including the fram will do the job on your splitter.Provided it's a hydraulic filter.
Is the 1259 considered a hydraulic filter? It lists as a
Transmission filter. Others are listed as hydraulic.

Thanks for the help on this

first off Jeff welcome to AS. the search function is your friend here. there are numerous threads here on splitter problems and fixes. not familiar with your splitter but i have used the NAPA #1259 filter on my troybuilt. good luck.
thank you for the help - I will be using that filter

Wix/NAPA:
33 micron 51553 – 30 micron
20 micron 51552 – 20 micron
10 micron 51551 – 10 micron

Baldwin BT839 25 micron OEM (on my splitter)

I would rather allow flow over filtration when using in cold weather. All the above and the 1259 do not have bypasses. The speeco original filters look identical to the Baldwin. That being said you will be fine with the 1259 and atf. Just make sure to warm it up some before full throttle and expect it to need changing sooner than a higher micron.

It is listed as both a trans. filter and a hyd. filter. So if it fits I'd say it would work.
Yes - I also see that it is listed that way
I see a picture of the filter with it as a heavy duty hydraulic filter.
I'm good with that. Thanks again
Definitely worth joining this forum.

The filter heads sometimes have bypasses. 30 micron is plenty fine.
I ended up purchasing a 1259. It appears to have the same or similar specs as the 1551 so I will see how the splitter performs when I install it today.
It actually appears to have better filtering ability than the 1551.

Wix/NAPA:
33 micron 51553 – 30 micron
20 micron 51552 – 20 micron
10 micron 51551 – 10 micron

Baldwin BT839 25 micron OEM (on my splitter)

I would rather allow flow over filtration when using in cold weather. All the above and the 1259 do not have bypasses. The speeco original filters look identical to the Baldwin. That being said you will be fine with the 1259 and atf. Just make sure to warm it up some before full throttle and expect it to need changing sooner than a higher micron.
My machine was filled with aw-46.
I think you may be correct on the Baldwin filter theory. My original filter
Has identical installation instruction on it as a Baldwin filter on my Kubota tractor.
I think the original filter was less restrictive than the 1551 I tried

My machine was filled with aw-46.
I think you may be correct on the Baldwin filter theory. My original filter
Has identical installation instruction on it as a Baldwin filter on my Kubota tractor.
I think the original filter was less restrictive than the 1551 I tried
The splitter Acts the same with this 1259 as with the 1551. Maybe a bit less bogged down. I do not have a gauge installed but I am fairly confident that these filters are to restrictive
I reinstalled the original s390601a0 filter and the splitter operates without an issue. Also, when it auto returns the hose doesn't jump like it does with either of the two filters I tried.
This splitter has a 16 gpm pump
I have also just noticed in my manual that the replacement filter in the pats section notes " replace with tsc# 186617
Which is a 25 micron 20 gpm lenz filter

After installing a gauge on the filter inlet and confirming the tank vent was clear, we found that the pressure from a 1551 filter is 13.8 psi vs. the pressure from our original filter 7.5 psi.
The 1259 filter is 12.2 psi.
For the 16 gpm, the filters are too restrictive.
Will be calling speeco

After installing a gauge on the filter inlet and confirming the tank vent was clear, we found that the pressure from a 1551 filter is 13.8 psi vs. the pressure from our original filter 7.5 psi.
The 1259 filter is 12.2 psi.
For the 16 gpm, the filters are too restrictive.
Will be calling speeco
Talked with Ben at speeco today.
Factory hydraulic filter for a 35 ton county line 2016 model : Zinga AE 25
I confirmed this with Zinga as well that it is the provided filter

exploding filters?

how much pressure is on the return side? the only way I can think of one "exploding" is if there is a major clog going on and most filter mounts have a by pass built in just for that reason.

Back