Hydraulic leak from a drive wheel on a carlton 4012

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontbthatguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My carlton is leaking just a drip now, but its getting worse. It is coming from where the wheel spins on the hub, not any of the hoses. I am hoping its just a seal, but who knows.

Does anyone have part #'s or manuals on those things? I cant find anything.

if you can see the seal pretty good you can take it to your local bearing and seal shop and they should be able to look at it and see what seal you need. guy at my place has been doing it for 17yrs and is damn good. just pull the whole unit on the trailer. i have done this before fixing seals

if you can see the seal pretty good you can take it to your local bearing and seal shop and they should be able to look at it and see what seal you need. guy at my place has been doing it for 17yrs and is damn good. just pull the whole unit on the trailer. i have done this before fixing seals

Awesome. Exactly the advice I was looking for. If I end up taking this thing to the dealer I know I'm not escaping for less than 500 bucks if I'm lucky.

Yeah need Wheel motor seal I would order that from Carlton A lot of them are special size seals

I had the same problem,the seal thats in the drive motor is internal not like a typical external oil seal,picked up a seal,then saw what was involved,have to take motor apart and install from inside,call George @ Shelter Tree,ordered a new motor,he credited me for the seal.Took a few days to get motor,easy install ,was down about 5 days because in took old motor apart. If it happens again i will just order new one install, no down time,think about $425/450.

If down time is a concern then 425 for a new motor is not bad at all. However, in general, Hyd motors are not too complicated as long as you keep everything very clean. Ordering and installing an entire seal kit, though not always strictly necessary, would be advisable if you are going to be taking it apart even for only a shaft seal. Seal kits can sometimes cost quite a bit compared to the cost of a whole new motor so make sure you get prices on both.

Update:

I ended up taking it off, not hard at all disconnect the lines, and then its just 4 bolts then knock it out with a rubber mallet.

I took it to a hydraulic shop a town away from me, they had it for 2 days, rebuilt it with a new seal kit and then I was good to go. $320 with tax. Had I known where to get a brand new one and was positive it was the correct motor, I would have opted for that. Im sure if I dropped the entire machine off the extra labor for them to take off and reinstall the new motor would have put the price over what a new one costs, or atlas be very close.

Either way the machine is back and works perfect.

Latest posts

Back