Hydraulics Not working after flush and new fluid.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The title says it all. I drained the tank, did some small welding on a pin hole, and then added new fluid. Now the hydraulic motors and lift cylinder won't work. I have a woodchuck WC 17 with a belt driven hydraulic pump. So when I engage the clutch the disc starts to spin and a 2nd belt runs the pump off of the disc. The pump is above the tank.

I have tried bleeding the system by unscrewing the little fitting above the pump. That didn't work. Then have I tried priming the pump by adding fluid to the little hole that I just tried bleeding the system from while moving the belt driven pully. That didn't work. I had also added a new filter the the system. When I checked the filter it didn't have any oil in it... So a thought I could add oil directly into the filter... No luck.

Any ideas?

Also, I noticed that the bottom feel motor is leaking oil now. Just a small pool under the motor where I parked the chipper to drain the tank, do some welding, and refill. Same place I always park, and never had an issue with that motor until after draining the tank and putting in new fluid. (noticed the leak today before adding new fluid.) Related or just dump luck?

sounds like you have a air pocket. is there a by pass valve if so open it and run you leaver up and down. if this dont work might need to do a flow test on the pump

I agree. Air is somewhere.

Running the leaver up and down... As in using the forward and reverse or the lift/crush lever on the hydraulic cylinder while system is running?

No sure where the pass valve is, or what that is.. I thought it was the little little screw that I opened on-top of the hydraulic pump.

If you drained the fluid - refilled but did not have any fluid to the pump - or you started the engine while the fluid was drained - even for a fraction of a second- your pump could be ruined. It only takes a fraction of second to ruin a pump - I've done it. Once the system is flooded with fluid on a chipper you really shouldn't have to bleed it.

I got it fixed. I took it to a buddy's farm and he removed the 1st line coming off of the pump and going into the control block/power inlet. (So removing the line from the control block coming from the pump side) Put the line into a bucket, started the engine, engaged the clutch and after some moments lots of air came out followed by a slow and then a steady stream of oil.

Back