I always loosen b&c after operation.....Right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be in opposite world, my chain gets tighter as I cut. After a little cutting I have to loosen my chain, after I've finished and it's cooled down the chain will literally be hanging off the bar. I tighten it before I use it again because I'm afraid it will come off it's so loose.

You live in a parallel universe:)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to adjust a time or two
in the day but never at the end. I have saws with many many hours on them, have not burnt the bearings yet! I do notice some people overtighten their chains,I run mine just snug.
Same here. always have to tighten at least once, i probably don't tighten the bar nuts enough.

you probably are not setting the tilt before tightening bar nuts. if you don't take tilt off bar, chain will loosen when bar goes upwards to resting position.

no need to over tighten bar nuts, if tilt is taken out. all it takes is medium tight (22 ft lb range) to hold.

Same here. always have to tighten at least once, i probably don't tighten the bar nuts enough.

Last edited:
you probably are not setting the tilt before tightening bar nuts. if you don't take tilt off bar, chain will loosen when bar goes upwards to resting position.

no need to over tighten bar nuts, if tilt is taken out. all it takes is medium tight (22 ft lb range) to hold.
Yeah I always tilt the bar up, Just kinda squimish about overtighting bolts. I have broke a few on other things. I worry about busting the cover with too much pressure. Still think i'm getting them tight though, But maybe not if the chain gets a little loose during the day.

I must be in opposite world, my chain gets tighter as I cut. After a little cutting I have to loosen my chain, after I've finished and it's cooled down the chain will literally be hanging off the bar. I tighten it before I use it again because I'm afraid it will come off it's so loose.

you have the catherine zeta jones chain. gets hot, then shrinks and you're left wondering why, as there was nothing wrong with it when it was in its original condition.

it's normal for your chain to get a little loose during the day. every link wears, multiplied by number of links used.

what I've been referring to is too loose to run safely. because I always start with a properly adjusted chain. anytime my chain gets loose enough easily fall off. it's time to stop and figure why...

if you tilt bar, nuts don't need to be very tight at all. barely past loose medium tension all the time with no problems.

Yeah I always tilt the bar up, Just kinda squimish about overtighting bolts. I have broke a few on other things. I worry about busting the cover with too much pressure. Still think i'm getting them tight though, But maybe not if the chain gets a little loose during the day.

It does not STRETCH.... It increases/decreases in length proportional to temperature.. and it's "a little", but if the chain is banjo-string tight, a little is a lot.

Stretch is a term that describes what Andy already touched on which is wear of the pins and the plates in each individual link of the chain over it's lifetime. Tension, friction, dirt, all contribute to metal loss (wear), of the individual components of the chain over it's useable life. At the end of a chains life, it is longer than when it was new. This is what the term "stretch" refers to.
I've never quantified this on chainsaw chain, but I've seen it on my dirtbikes-that's why they have chain adjusters, so you can keep freeplay within recommended tolerances This increase in chain length is a permanent condition due to wear-the metal does not stretch.

I set tilt its just a day to most is not my day. I cut a bunch in a day
and until dark or storms as now we are having! If you use a saw hard
for several hours run fill, run fill, your chain will get loose at some point!
The way I tighten my chain is bar straight up and tilt is set then, if that is
what it is truly called:laugh:

Last edited:
seems this would only apply if you are dumb enough to adjust your chain hot. if your chain stretches out that far to need it, something is wrong. like oiler is plugged up or you started with a loose chain.

if you've done maintenance and adjusted your chain to proper tension before you start your engine. when saw cools back down to ambient temps. max saw can contract is back to starting point.

you know I read the manual about 2-3 years ago and was only using my memory to recall this statment I made. I think when I read "could damage the bearings or seals" I put that in my mind and started loosening the bar on my saw before I put it up. "I wont quit doing this". cause it dont hurt. And yea if you wanna call me dumb enough I have had to tighten the chain in the middle of running and yea it was probably warm, Or had stopped oiling. But you know what? I loosen the bar on my saws when I'm done.OH Yea I tighten them as the manual stated to do.Like I said I haven't had a problem with seals or bearings on any of my saws and 2 of them are 40+years old and run strong. I kinnda Had two topics in this question, one was was I right or wrong about my practice. The other was what kind of damage could it do/ could it cause bearing/seal damage.I got some good info and I hope all yall did too.
Still We all have our own way of doing things.

Oh yea???

LMAO... bring your porky butt over here Rexy, and work with me for one day... you won't last through lunch... I'll let you pack the 200T and a sandwich. Lightest of the bunch...

I'll pack my 044, and all my gear...

Gary

I'll make it through lunch. I don't know if I'd wanna work any other time, but as long as you brought some prime rib or something I'd stay for the entire lunch session dude. I'd outlast ANY man in here for eating lunch. Yes, I am that determined, lmao....

:jester:

LMAO... bring your porky butt over here Rexy, and work with me for one day... you won't last through lunch... I'll let you pack the 200T and a sandwich. Lightest of the bunch...

I'll pack my 044, and all my gear...

Gary

You telling me that even the lightest weight Stihl will wear you out that bad? Dang, I wouldn't be bragging about that bro! :)

HA!

Here is where we are workin... Just let me know!

attachment.php

This was taken in the early fall... there's about a foot of snow up there in places now.

Gary

Wowzah

HA!

Here is where we are workin... Just let me know!

attachment.php

This was taken in the early fall... there's about a foot of snow up there in places now.

Gary

How beautiful is that eh? Dang. Gotta love that for sure...

:clap: :cheers:

Back