I broke tractor...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
busted off the spindle.
P1010424.JPG
Hauled it off the tractor, and into the shop. An hour later I had it looking like this:
P1010427.JPG
I actually was rather optimistic that it would work. 20 minutes later I backed up 20 feet and this happened:
P1010428.JPG

Just a few too many logs, few too many bumps. 50 years later it busted. Let's put it this way, yes the tractor was overloaded. but I have done worse... I have had the rear wheels (with weights in them) off the ground.

ordered new stuff this morning.

busted off the spindle.
View attachment 438217
Hauled it off the tractor, and into the shop. An hour later I had it looking like this:
View attachment 438218
I actually was rather optimistic that it would work. 20 minutes later I backed up 20 feet and this happened:
View attachment 438219

Just a few too many logs, few too many bumps. 50 years later it busted. Let's put it this way, yes the tractor was overloaded. but I have done worse... I have had the rear wheels (with weights in them) off the ground.

Looks like a MF tractor. Known for weak spindles. With a loader on front they take a beating. I think you can get a new spindle on line for about 125.00. I put one in for a guy about a month ago.

Looks about like our old Case 430 at work. We have a 6' brush hog on it which is really a bit too big for the tractor so we added extra weight on the front. This tractor will book right down the road in high gear and had just made a run down the road just minutes before the spindle broke off on relatively smooth and flat ground. Jacked 'er up, chained the front axle to the frame on the broken side, drove it back to the shop on 3 wheels (got some funny looks going down the road like that) We didn't even try to repair, just replaced it because the spindle looked to be a bit on the small side for the tractor. Yours doesn't look exactly overbuilt either...

"known for weak spindles"
If I had known that.... Well, it is what it is. now that I know it is fragile, I will try and avoid picking up really heavy stuff with it.
To be quite honest, it is heavy for a handy man jack to pick up that corner, and I am suprised the spindles hold up this well.
Maybe I should order the other side right now.... or wait til it breaks?

Massy Ferguson 50 or a TO35 whatever, if I clean all 4 spark plugs it runs pretty well for about 20 minutes. To say that the engine is worn out is putting it mildly.
But it moves logs.... atleast it did until yesterday.

FELs are hard on the front ends no matter what.
I know a couple farmers that kept having trouble, all they used the FEL fir what scooping up cow manure and moving feed/hay. These were on bigger tractors, 100+ hp.
Nothing crazy like trying to dig, expecting it to be a forklift, etc.

They got smart and bought actual Front End Loaders, like a CAT 960 type loader or big skid steers. Problems solved and no more broken tractor front ends.

I had a similar situation last fall , I thot the end of the stub broke .

ZAhW5x4Ov_BbQUmWUY0MGCkwFlPBTO-fh4nucaNJ4To=w1223-h917-no

I got lucky , the previous owner never put the cotterpin back in when they last did the bearings .

busted off the spindle.
View attachment 438217
View attachment 438218
View attachment 438219

I will try to cheer you up went out with the cat 941B track loader to put some brush and pull some logs found a wet spot in the pasture down in a ditch and the track come off. Corn field on both sides. Threw the tarp on and it will be after harvest before we will be able to move it and get the track back on. The old girl needs new rails.

Oh, I have had a learning curve on this machine already.
Never even drove a tractor before when I backed this thing off a trailer a few years ago. Built some forks for it and hauled it to the woods. It took a week of running on 3 cylinders to figure out that wasn't right... when it fouled to two... I cleaned the plugs and it ran much better! Got the burned up points replaced and found straw in the fuel line. Water pump was really noisy, and got replaced. The next thing that screwed the pooch was the starter motor fried on me one day. I cobbled it back to marginal function and a few more months out of it. Then one day she refused to back up. Broke shift fork in transmission. I made a "new" one after I found out that someone had welded the cast iron one a couple times. Getting the cover off the transmission is the tricky part. No detents any more and it will slide into two gears real easy. starter finally gave up the ghost, and it was $400 for a new one. That winter I learned not to let it back pop, it has sheered off a roll pin in the starter several times already. The flywheel teeth are down to 1/2 length, and I am certain that nobody has ever pulled that engine from this machine. Can a clutch really last 50 years?? Thermostat is removed probably to keep the engine from heating up much and thinning the oil. Which it burns at a amazing rate. Straight 30, and it barely manages 10 psi oil pressure. One day when the starter was "out" I almost managed to get it started by 3rd gear and flipping a rear wheel around... almost.
The generator is the best part of the machine! It works so well I wonder why we ever went to alternators!
P7310025.jpg

Never even drove a tractor before when I backed this thing off a trailer a few years ago. Built some forks for it and hauled it to the woods. It took a week of running on 3 cylinders to figure out that wasn't right... when it fouled to two... I cleaned the plugs and it ran much better! Got the burned up points replaced and found straw in the fuel line. Water pump was really noisy, and got replaced. The next thing that screwed the pooch was the starter motor fried on me one day. I cobbled it back to marginal function and a few more months out of it. Then one day she refused to back up. Broke shift fork in transmission. I made a "new" one after I found out that someone had welded the cast iron one a couple times. Getting the cover off the transmission is the tricky part. No detents any more and it will slide into two gears real easy. starter finally gave up the ghost, and it was $400 for a new one. That winter I learned not to let it back pop, it has sheered off a roll pin in the starter several times already. The flywheel teeth are down to 1/2 length, and I am certain that nobody has ever pulled that engine from this machine. Can a clutch really last 50 years?? Thermostat is removed probably to keep the engine from heating up much and thinning the oil. Which it burns at a amazing rate. Straight 30, and it barely manages 10 psi oil pressure. One day when the starter was "out" I almost managed to get it started by 3rd gear and flipping a rear wheel around... almost.
The generator is the best part of the machine! It works so well I wonder why we ever went to alternators!
P7310025.jpg

Sounds like you got most of the bugs worked out of it already. Put a set of non foulers on the spark plugs and go to 40 or 50 wt oil. I would put a counterweight on the 3 point to take some weight off the front axle. The rear wheel bearing are a lot stronger than the front spindle. A new spindle is made a little sturdier than some of the originals. So it may last just as long as the original. Something tells me that will outlast your use of it. Yes a clutch can last 50 years. That part of the tractor was overdesigned. Imagine that...

P7310025.jpg
That tractors purty compared to my ole battle axe lol 1957 ford 800

Thermostat is removed probably to keep the engine from heating up much and thinning the oil. Which it burns at a amazing rate.
I see the cloud in the pic there...you have neighbors close enough to appreciate your skeeter control? :laughing:
What fixit said ^ ^ ^ get a set of non foulers, they work pretty well on those old machines. Going a couple heat ranges hotter on the plugs can help too

Yes and wear out the differential lmfao better to replace a spindle than a diffy!

Why would it wear out the diffy? Other than in starting ou
Yes and wear out the differential lmfao better to replace a spindle than a diffy!

Why would it do that? Puts more load on the wheel bearings and adds more mass to start or stop movement but other than that...

Harry K

P7310025.jpg
if that thermostat is out,,best find out why. thermos are meant to be in there..........

IF you ever break a rear axle, you will start thinking about how much weight you have put on the back!

SR

Farm tractors were never designed to carry a heavy load on the front, only the back end. Front end loaders were added later as an afterthought, became very popular and are the norm today. For light work these farm tractors hold up fine, but when FEL's are used heavily the small front axle components will suffer. 3 pt ballast will greatly help by transferring weight from the front axle to the much larger rear axle.

Latest posts

Back