I got the saw back that started my addiction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmraney

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've said a few times that my dad had a tree company. That all I could remember was his 262xp. Well like a few struggling small business owners dad had to sell some **** along the way to make ends meet. Well today I got his 262 back. I've always wanted this saw. She's finally mine. Ps for those keeping track. This is number 4 262xp image.jpg

AWESOME! Always good to find a piece of your past, now you just have to make it showroom new and send it to the monkey for a breathing treatment. :innocent:

Joe

It had been setting in a barn for awhile. I got it up in running. Haven't decided if I'm gonna give it the full restore or if I'm gonna leave it ugly. This saw has earned her stripes. She was used professionally for 7-10 years. Plus several years of whatever the last guy did. Almost seems wrong to make her pretty

I know what you mean, my 272 XP is just about the ugliest saw I own cosmetically speaking, but it is one of the, if not the best runner that I have and I find myself grabbing it the most as I am not afraid to put her through the paces. I did buy all new plastics for my 3120 XP prom and my 257/262 XP Hybrid project, and for a long time had like new plastics on my 026 (sold them recently to a buddy that wants all his stuff like new) and put some decent but not perfect covers on it.

Joe

That's awesome. I had my 15 yr old son help me get my dad's roached Husky 50 back up and running a few years ago. That saw kept our family warm for many many years. It's great to have it and pass it on to my son.
If there was a vote, I'd say full resto. I'd be neat to see it on the shelf as new, knowing it's history and all the work you did getting it back to new condition.

image.jpg I may. Not sure yet. Gonna put her thru her paces over the next few days. Compression test, pull the muffler. See what shape she's actually in. Plus I have these two that are both minty

I would keep is as is, sitting right next to a minty 262, then you have a before and after shot. You keep the memories and character of the saw plus the contrast of the mint saw.

I would keep the plastics and the paint as they are - those are the memories and those marks were earned. Under the skins, clean and refresh everything from the bottom to the top. At least that is what I would do.

This is what I was thinking. Freshen up her insides... Give her a bath. Leave her battles scars

She got a bath! Doesn't look half bad under all that grimeimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks good! Be careful if this was pressure washed. I have opened up several saws I got off ebay that were washed that way and found that water had caused oxidation in various places. This seems to happen in the area of the coil and under the oil pump. Some even gets into the crankcase although I don't know how but this is the worst since it tends to puddle and destroy the bearings if the saw spends any time on its side.

I sprayed it with citrus cleaner. Rinsed with a nozzle and water hose, coated it in WD 40 started it. Let it idle 5 mins or so then drenched it in WD again

I clean my saws by hand usually. (Rags, compressed air, WD)Try and avoid water all together. But this this was nasty.

Back