I hate palm juice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A quote from Lakeside earlier this year regarding magnesium corrosion.

"Salt water and palm juice are the two I know.. Had an MS460 in for service from a Florida ebay purchase... Clutch side cover eaten though, corrosion everywhere.. Bought an 026 from Huston once.. bad... used and entire tube of JB weld fixing it.."

Man, I wish I had seen this post before!
Cut my mothers date palm down about a week ago and didn't have time to clean the saw till this weekend. Part of the casting the locates the brake band is gone and pitting in the side cover :censored:
Watch out my sawdust breathing brethren, This "palm juice" stuff must be deadly to magnesium!
I'm having a beer now, maybe more than one :cry:

For it to corrode so quick I'm guessing it was not a Stihl unless it was a ms360 perhaps. Huskys corrode way faster.

From http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=544121&postcount=136

117202398-S.jpg

I am really glad that I clean my saws up right away ! I didn't know that palm could do this. A few years ago a guy brought me a 8'X10" palm and asked me to mill it on my CSM. It was a PITA to mill and had a lot of moisture in it, I won't mill any more of it.
I'm in Michigan, so I don't get many requests for working with it and was kind of interested in seeing how it was to mill.

Geeeeezz Ekka!
I was talking a bit of casting being effected. A few strokes with the paint brush and I'll be cutting again in no time.
Ive never seen anything like that before.

Carvinmark, I'm usually very fussy with cleaning, just had no time I'm afraid. Ah well, another lesson learned!

Last edited:
I dont do a lot of cutting ,but after cutting palms I was shown to rev the chainsaw while squirting out the crap with a hose.Few more revs before packup.:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back