I leave the climbing to a pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've shared pictures and video of me cutting dead Red Oak for firewood several times here. I also have a nice long 1500' driveway that runs through the woods, and my utility lines are strung on 9 poles along the drive before they go underground for the last 300'. So, I have (had) about a half dozen nice oaks along the drive die, and though not imminent, they will eventually fall. I'd rather they not fall and take down my power. I'd also rather they not fall the opposite direction which is down hill and make a tougher, more manual carry out. So, I hired a pair of guys who climb to cut the limbs that hang over the lines, and in fact top out these trees so that my worst final felling error would not take out my electric.

First climb was up a reasonably healthy White oak to dead head a limb that hangs over the lines, and to establish a high point for climbing ropes and a sling point for lowering the cut-offs:

P1080698.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

The climber was very cautious, measured his hangs, swings, cuts, and directions carefully. He wasn't working fast, but he was efficient. Here is a limb that he swung back from over-top the wires, and the ground guy lowered it safely into the bush:

Then he lowered himself, climbed one of the target dead Reds and set to work on it:

P1080711.JPG

There he dropped some of the limbs that were on the opposite side of the tree (away from utility lines) without roping them down:

By the end of the day, I had six nice piles of recently dead Red Oak limbs and tops on the ground, and six nice Red Oak pillars that I can drop at my leisure (read: when the weather is much cooler) like these:

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

Besides, they are off the ground and not eating anything, so they are kind of my strategic, vertical wood stacks.

Sometimes I just have to be a stick in the mud. Your first picture shows your climber in a live tree. I know you don't care and the tree will come down later any way. But, if he is licensed, he would loose his license, for climbing a live tree that is not being removed with gaffs. The gaffs open wounds that release pheromones that attract pathogens. Coming from 4 generations of residential tree care, when I see some one doing something wrong I tend to point it out. Our climber is 63, and he would use a small throwing line and shoot it over a crotch in the top of the tree, pull his climbing line through and then pull himself up. It sounds like a lot of extra hard work, but most climbers are skinny, wiry guy who are incredibly strong. George can shoot a line in a tree faster than I can take my 42 foot ladder down and move it to the next tree. So, sorry for being a downer. When I was young, before I got my license, if some one told me they were going to take the trees down later and they just wanted to make them safe now, I would have hooked them too. But, I wouldn't let the homeowner take pictures of me because I knew it was wrong. Then I grew up and followed the rules. I guess I have a hard time calling him a good climber when he is braking a cardinal rule of climbing. But, if he did what you wanted him to, and it kept you safe, that's a win, Joe.

I don't see nothing wrong with spiking in this situation...the trees are being removed at a later date anyways. I think he just needed a climber to clear the trees from the power lines so the OP can drop them safely at a later time. I've done plenty of jobs where all the customer wanted was the tree stripped out and the top popped off....I spiked the hell out of those trees lol

Never heard of an arborist being licensed. Certified, but not licensed. In 22 years in the industry i've never known anyone to lose any certs for spiking a prune job. Its frowned upon, but you aren't gonna lose any certs.

Never heard of an arborist being licensed. Certified, but not licensed. In 22 years in the industry i've never known anyone to lose any certs for spiking a prune job. Its frowned upon, but you aren't gonna lose any certs.

You need to get out more.

Lots of states require arborist to be licensed.

Maryland for instance. The Maryland Tree Expert License. Had one for 20 years before moving to Georgia.

There is nothing wrong with spiking a tree that is being removed!

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
Yes, but he didn't take it down, he elevated it. I stated that I know he plans to take it down in the future. I even said that when I was young I'd done similar things. But, in states where you have to be licensed to do tree work, like MD and PA, we get "this stuff" from the rules and regulations that the states put on us. Because some one in the PNW thinks it's ok to spike live trees, that are not being removed, does not make it right, and the DNR will fine the heck out of you and snatch your license for hooking green trees. I also said if it kept Jere safe it was a win. Still doesn't make it right. Your the one that said he was a good climber, if he's willing to violate the regulations his state puts on him, does that make him a good climber. Anyone can slap a set of hooks on, maybe if he pulled himself around the tree I'd agree he's good.

KenJax, licensed and certified are two different things. You can have multiple certifications, but if your not licensed and insured, you can't do tree work in MD, and I'm pretty sure PA's laws are about the same.

Some states you don't need anything to do tree work, no license, no certs, just a 73 F150 and a Wild Thing. If you live in one of those states you can say our rules are stupid, but you can't come here and ignore them, and we still have to live with them.

Jere, sorry I stirred up the hornets nest on your post. Somewhere along the line I became a very rule oriented person. I thought your climber made the green trees safe and left the trunks of the dead ones. In the real scheme of things it doesn't matter. It's just a bunch of woods. Nobody really cares. You didn't do anything wrong, I never questioned your character. Rules often become things that other people have to follow, so I do question the character of those that break the rules because they don't like them, Joe.

I don't see nothing wrong with spiking in this situation...the trees are being removed at a later date anyways. I think he just needed a climber to clear the trees from the power lines so the OP can drop them safely at a later time. I've done plenty of jobs where all the customer wanted was the tree stripped out and the top popped off....I spiked the hell out of those trees lol
Hard to argue with a guy that "don't see nothing wrong". The only thing you missed is that the green tree wasn't topped out and left a stub to be dropped later. It was left a live standing pruned tree. If for some reason Jere decides to keep that tree, it's just a pruned tree, that wasn't pruned in the proper manner. DNR doesn't care what you think the future of the tree is. All they care about is what you do now. So, my question to the pro is, if you can run up several dead trees and pop the top off, why can't you climb the one living one in the proper manner. Like I said, it's just the woods, who cares, Joe.

You need to get out more.

Lots of states require arborist to be licensed.

Maryland for instance. The Maryland Tree Expert License. Had one for 20 years before moving to Georgia.
Del, what part of MD were you in? My family settled in Montgomery County in 1721 and several members have been in the tree business since the turn of the century, the last century, not this one, Joe.

I lived in Delaware at the time and worked in MD on occasion.

Got my Maryland Tree Expert License about 1990. I let it expire after moving to GA back in 2000.

ISA CA in 1991. The first in Sussex County DE. Kept if for 18 years and let it go. Still doing part time arborist work.

Yes, but he didn't take it down, he elevated it. I stated that I know he plans to take it down in the future. I even said that when I was young I'd done similar things. But, in states where you have to be licensed to do tree work, like MD and PA, we get "this stuff" from the rules and regulations that the states put on us. Because some one in the PNW thinks it's ok to spike live trees, that are not being removed, does not make it right, and the DNR will fine the heck out of you and snatch your license for hooking green trees. I also said if it kept Jere safe it was a win. Still doesn't make it right. Your the one that said he was a good climber, if he's willing to violate the regulations his state puts on him, does that make him a good climber. Anyone can slap a set of hooks on, maybe if he pulled himself around the tree I'd agree he's good.

KenJax, licensed and certified are two different things. You can have multiple certifications, but if your not licensed and insured, you can't do tree work in MD, and I'm pretty sure PA's laws are about the same.

Some states you don't need anything to do tree work, no license, no certs, just a 73 F150 and a Wild Thing. If you live in one of those states you can say our rules are stupid, but you can't come here and ignore them, and we still have to live with them.

Jere, sorry I stirred up the hornets nest on your post. Somewhere along the line I became a very rule oriented person. I thought your climber made the green trees safe and left the trunks of the dead ones. In the real scheme of things it doesn't matter. It's just a bunch of woods. Nobody really cares. You didn't do anything wrong, I never questioned your character. Rules often become things that other people have to follow, so I do question the character of those that break the rules because they don't like them, Joe.
Ok gotcha. You meant business license, in other words not a hack. i misunderstood you.

Ok gotcha. You meant business license, in other words not a hack. i misunderstood you.

You also have to show proof of insurance and keep it updated to keep a Maryland Tree Expert license and must have this license to do tree trimming in Maryland. The company you work for even if you work solo must also have a business license.

You also have to show proof of insurance and keep it updated to keep a Maryland Tree Expert license and must have this license to do tree trimming in Maryland. The company you work for even if you work solo must also have a business license.
Correct. I misunderstood you guys.

Suddenly I like Illinois a lot better now! We may be deeply in debt, run by wackos, have super-high taxes and have several governors in jail, but at least we don't need a bloody license to trim a tree or home-educate our kids.

It eliminates a lot of hack work and reduces the public's exposure to unlicensed contractors. Over all it is a good thing.

Got insurance for your biz?

It eliminates a lot of hack work and reduces the public's exposure to unlicensed contractors. Over all it is a good thing.

Got insurance for your biz?

See, that is where you're just flat wrong.

You can still find hacks and low ballers. Licensed does nothing to protect the homeowner, it just makes work more expensive for the homeowner.

I've always lived in states that require a license, bonding, insurance and I still deal with lowball hacks, most of them have a license and insurance too, they just work cheaper and don't deliver a good product.

Bid one job where I lost the work to company that backed a bucket truck into the yard leaving ruts, knocked down a section of fence dropping limbs, and they didn't even rake up. Homeowner was bragging to his neighbor how much money he saved. The neighbor is a longtime customer of mine and said he just told him he didn't get a very good job. No amount of licensing or big brother is ever going to weed out the hacks, it's just a fact.

In matter of fact the more regulation there is the greater the reward for not following the regulations. Just look at the drug problem! Requiring a pharmacy to be licensed sure is protecting all those poor consumers from unsafe drugs.

Your own sig line with the quote from NASA agrees with my point.

Hell I am all for licensing for a one time fee, I am not for having to empty my savings every time a renewal comes up, lucky for us here no need for the extra crap just tax license and insurance and you are good to go. I would like to see more people practicing responsible work ethics.

Raymond Ease
Tennessee Landscaping and Arboriculture

See, that is where you're just flat wrong.

You can still find hacks and low ballers. Licensed does nothing to protect the homeowner, it just makes work more expensive for the homeowner.

I've always lived in states that require a license, bonding, insurance and I still deal with lowball hacks, most of them have a license and insurance too, they just work cheaper and don't deliver a good product.

Bid one job where I lost the work to company that backed a bucket truck into the yard leaving ruts, knocked down a section of fence dropping limbs, and they didn't even rake up. Homeowner was bragging to his neighbor how much money he saved. The neighbor is a longtime customer of mine and said he just told him he didn't get a very good job. No amount of licensing or big brother is ever going to weed out the hacks, it's just a fact.

In matter of fact the more regulation there is the greater the reward for not following the regulations. Just look at the drug problem! Requiring a pharmacy to be licensed sure is protecting all those poor consumers from unsafe drugs.

Your own sig line with the quote from NASA agrees with my point.

I have a feeling the situation would be worse without licensing & mandatory insurance that goes with it - insurance is all about protecting the homeowner & public. Or at least it is supposed to be.

Back