I made some chain vises

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea for a better than most chain vise and really wanted one for doing drpth gauges coming off the grinder... So here is what I came up with!

Upon getting a few of these to fellow as members and a lot of discussion later it was determined a more refined version would be better and more versatile!

Here is what I call GEN 2.

I wanted something that could be easily used, durable, versatile and my biggest factor was having the chain roll thru smoothly!

Depth gauges:

Roller guide:

File-o-plate:

.325 roller:

Freehand square file:

Tunneling:

I'm really pleased to see someone doing this. In my opinion there's a huge potential for sales of a good quality chain vise. It ought to be modelled somewhat on the older style chain vises in my opinion though, they're highly sought after and work well.

The wingnuts are very impractical. They'll have your finger tips reduced to bloody pulp in no time. A long levered cam style tightener is what's called for. You could consider making the item a bench mount rather than a vice mount, or if it's going to be a vice mount them perhaps get rid of the wingnuts altogether and use the vice as the tightener. I've made a chain vice something like that.

Here is a typical example . . . . .

This adds extra cost to the vise!

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Or...find a cheap small wrench that fits a nut that could be used instead of the wing nut. Cut the wrench to the right length if needed, smooth it out, place the wrench in position where you can tighten it the most, but it's loose enough for the chain to move. Then use some sort of an adhesive or something to keep the wrench from falling off.

Here is a typical example . . . . .

This adds extra cost to the vise!

McMaster-Carr

McMaster-Carr

Thank you for all the input! The only wing nut that really needs changed out is the one on the end. I have found that if you set them snug on the front it all works quite well. And yes cost will increase but I think it will be worth it! Perhaps another revision is in order!

Or...find a cheap small wrench that fits a nut that could be used instead of the wing nut. Cut the wrench to the right length if needed, smooth it out, place the wrench in position where you can tighten it the most, but it's loose enough for the chain to move. Then use some sort of an adhesive or something to keep the wrench from falling off.

Change out to bar nuts and then a scrench can be used.

Nice work.

Clamp to me would be a spring to clamp and a foot pedal to over ride the spring.

Or a spring to open and a foot pedal to clamp. Legs be stronger than fingers.

My $.02.

The Clamp and cable from a bicycle brake would be enough if you made a stop to prevent overtravel.

Or go throttle cable........just to the ragged edge of overkill.

Nice work.

Clamp to me would be a spring to clamp and a foot pedal to over ride the spring.

Or a spring to open and a foot pedal to clamp. Legs be stronger than fingers.

My $.02.

Now that would be killer. I'm looking for something like this to be used with the roller guides which I have grown to love after only a few uses.

I like the wing nuts...

I have man hands...

And they're fast... 1/4 turn is all the difference between the chain sliding between the rails, and the chain being locked tight in place...

A lever may help those with delicate appendages like Mark...:msp_wink:
Being all dainty and stuff...
:big_smile:

Back