I need a bigger mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enrico Carini

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I bought a brand new MS290 with a 24" bar and an Alaskan MkIII. I've done a bunch of milling with it but I've gotten into some bigger trees and I need a bigger mill. I recently scored a 045 parts saw and a 056 parts saw and make one from the two that runs and cuts great. I ordered a 42" bar and some ripping chain but I'm having trouble finding a source for the three rails I need to make my mill wider. I found a listing for a 36" kit on Baileys but nothing wider, I have some huge oak and black walnut to get into and I want to setup as wide as possible on a 42" bar. Granberg has the worst website of all time

Granberg makes a number of longer rail sets, and the price is pretty reasonable. I made a longer set out of 1010 aluminum and bought some bolts that work with those at my local hardware store.

I second the 80/20 aluminum extrudate (cheap on ebay). I used 2 48" rails of 1010, 2 short pieces for guides, and a 48" by 7/8” aluminum rod. Simple upgrade from 24” rails to 48" rails. You loose 1/4" of thickness unless you add some spacers. Love to support granberg but rails have been out of stock ...

Latest posts

Back