I need some big wood, doggone it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
I've got all these saws that need to be run and nothing to cut. I have only had one tree job in 2015 thus far and that was mostly trimming with the Marvin pole saw and then cutting up a downed 15" oak. At least Groundi finally got to try her MS180 out for the first time. She even got it started by herself. She did a bit of limbing with it.
I cut most of the stem up with a rebuilt Stihl 039 I used for the first time. The rest of that job I cut up with a Homelite Super 2 I've had on CL for some time. Figured if no one wants to buy it, then I'll use it. Handy little saw. Makes an excellent truck saw. Cheap, starts in one pull usually (not many saws will) and not attractive to meth heads.
So, anyway, I need to find some serious trees to try out my 046, MS460 and two 044's that have hardly seen wood in my hands. Plus I have an 066 that has only been run a wee bit since I put a new cylinder kit in it. Maybe a tornado, bad thunderstorm or something like that...
I did a quote today for some tree work but it is really "bush" work as it was a bunch of small cedars and shrubs they want removed.

Sounds like my day yesterday.
Ran the HT75 pole saw, 4 tanks of fuel clearing around some white oaks we planted 10 to 15yrs ago. I had a 024 parts saw i needed to run as well as a 261 and a MM361 sitting in the truck wanting to be used.
I almost stopped on the road home to attack a large blowdown oak but it is on the edge of the road right of way. I didn't want to run afowl of the state gov't though.

Just sell one of those 044s/046 and then you will need it.
With the wind we have been getting something is bound to blow over for us.

I've got all these saws that need to be run and nothing to cut. I have only had one tree job in 2015 thus far and that was mostly trimming with the Marvin pole saw and then cutting up a downed 15" oak. At least Groundi finally got to try her MS180 out for the first time. She even got it started by herself. She did a bit of limbing with it.
I cut most of the stem up with a rebuilt Stihl 039 I used for the first time. The rest of that job I cut up with a Homelite Super 2 I've had on CL for some time. Figured if no one wants to buy it, then I'll use it. Handy little saw. Makes an excellent truck saw. Cheap, starts in one pull usually (not many saws will) and not attractive to meth heads.
So, anyway, I need to find some serious trees to try out my 046, MS460 and two 044's that have hardly seen wood in my hands. Plus I have an 066 that has only been run a wee bit since I put a new cylinder kit in it. Maybe a tornado, bad thunderstorm or something like that...
I did a quote today for some tree work but it is really "bush" work as it was a bunch of small cedars and shrubs they want removed.
Hahaha, I'm ready for a big storm too!

Want big wood? Get a big saw. The trees will come.

We don't have ash trees around here to any extent. Lots of oaks of a number of varieties. Some of them get really large. A six foot diameter oak is pretty common as a yard tree around here (of course filled with all sorts of iron objects). I was at a customer's house yesterday commenting on their hammock hook which was just barely still visible protruding from the tree. Seems like big saws are "big tree insurance" in that once you get one, the need wanes. I have plenty of big saws, the trees haven't come though...
Seems every time there's a "disaster" such as a tornado or hurricane, I'm out of town and can't participate.

There have been some people who had a few saws and "some" experience in cutting firewood, that decided to get in the tree business during the ice storm of 2014. Sadly, for them the ice storm work is gone and they can't compete with the "real" tree service companies.

There has been a good amount of work where I'm from (North Augusta, SC. 5 minutes from the Augusta National golf course). Hang on, spring is here and work always picks up........

Hey FOP, I just got permission to take this big ol' oak...if you get bored (and don't mind snow)
shoot up to Connecticut with the 460...

It's 40" at the base...good time bucking this tree up!

Attachments

• 0315151117.jpg
    0315151117.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 0315151117b.jpg
    0315151117b.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 42
  • downsized_0315151115.jpg
    downsized_0315151115.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 44
  • downsized_0315151117a.jpg
    downsized_0315151117a.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 43
That's a lot of wood. Looks like testbed for the MS660. I just sent my son back to CT but have no plans to go to the NE anytime soon myself. I may be going to MI in a few days. (for a short time)

Part of my being bummed relates to a big pecan that was down about 500 yards from me. Warpig6 and I cut it up along with his bro in law. The stem was left and I was planning on bucking that up but got sick which put me out of commission for a week. When I got ready to go get the rest of the stem, they had pushed it into a pile and burned it. (the previous day). I already had my large saws loaded up and ready to go and then... Guess I'll have to be happy with pole saw cutting for the time being.

Hey FOP, I just got permission to take this big ol' oak...if you get bored (and don't mind snow)
shoot up to Connecticut with the 460...

It's 40" at the base...good time bucking this tree up!
The main crotch would make some nice bon fire chairs

Hey 'Boozer I'm in on that Oak if you need a hand!

Thanks Mel...should have the manpower available for this one. (I will keep you in mind, get 6+ of these and it
almost becomes work.)
Itching to get cutting again and with 2-6" of snow tomorrow we may be delayed...again!

Enough winter already.

Thanks Mel...should have the manpower available for this one. (I will keep you in mind, get 6+ of these and it
almost becomes work.)
Itching to get cutting again and with 2-6" of snow tomorrow we may be delayed...again!

Enough winter already.
Hahaha thats what winter boots are for lol

Back