I need some chainsaw advice - which saw to buy (Husky 435, 359 or other?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfpackfan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello saw experts. I have been reading a few threads, checking opinions on saws and am now at a place where I feel like I need to ask for help. I am in need of a decent saw that can handle routine cutting at some property I have. I would like something reliable, and stout enough to cut some hardwoods. Average dbh is 12 to 16 inches. I am by no means an expert on saws, and the cutting I will do won't be for hours at a time. Here is the question I face.

I have the chance to buy a low hour 359 on craigslist in my area for $300 or a 435 at a pawn shop for $175. I have read a number of posts that say the 359 is a great saw, as long as no muffler/carb issues arise. But I have also read that the 435 is good as long as the diameter is not greater than 8 inches (more for limbs) and it will crap out faster than the 359. I would like something reliable, and an all around good saw. My uncle has a 455 and is happy with it. I would like to stay in the husky family, but welcome any other model numbers or suggestions. I am budget conscious and the $300 is my top end ( I think the seller of the 359 would take less). Also, any advice on prices would be welcome. Thanks.

I'm not an expert too but what I know is the 359 with no mods can handle quite a lot of work, and once modded could be a real beast! And I prefer going to something bigger, you never know what you're gonna cut and i'm the kind of guy who prefers have more torque and cutting speed than not enough... Also the 359 is a prow-saw, VS the 435 which is an homeowner-type (less quality).

So, my call would be for the 359.

This is great. I appreciate the advice McPherson. The reason I was thinking the 359 as well is that you never quite know when you need something with a little more stones. I appreciate your input.

Were I seriously considering a 435, I'd shop at www-dot-VMInnovations-dot-com for a factory refurb. Their quoted prices are f.o.b. your door- no games with shipping charges. If I had $325 on hand, I'd consider a 421 Dolly, as a great general-purpose saw for your work. From a certain well-known Dolmar dealer in Greenwich NY.

Back