I Need to Cut Fast!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe most full-blown race chain is filed way back, probably for both reasons.

Niko has been doing his home work! Especially on a small saw, you have to keep the kerf down and the rpm up. With the limited torque you have to use more technique than brute strength. The total weight and the weight of each chain element that is continuously being redirected around the race course does take power; I think TW calculated a figure that was a good fraction of a horsepower. Not much on a 3120 but a much higher percentage of the available power on a three horsepower saw so more concern on a bumblebee saw.

You can make a .325 chain fast but the tooth height makes it difficult but not impossible to get the angles you need when handfiling. You tend to wind up with too tender a top plate to keep from cutting too badly into the tie straps. If you are grinding you have a few more options in the angles you can dress the wheel to.
Unless you take the cutter back a fair bit you will have effectively too low a raker anyways for a fast chain on a small saw especially with a full size 3/8 chain.

Below is a picture of the kerf of a new 3/8 chain and beside it the kerf after it was highly modified to narrow the cut. That was an experiment but I actually took the concept too far and it some things (like a knot or hitting the wood a bit crooked) would cause a jam but it sure would cut in a fraction of the time. Something a little less extreme would be better, but it gives an idea of the concept. Here it was cutting a full 25% less wood plus weight saving on the chain.

Hi Frank how about thinning the file with a grinder for .325?
Use one side of the file to do 3/8" then remove the teeth from that side of the file plus a bit more material then you would have a thinner fresh file, You would be doing the gullets with a round file anyway.
Would that help?

Hey J. Walker, my experience is the .325 is faster on the smaller saws. The 3/8" low profile is super slow and doesn't take a very big bite.

On the point of .325 chain, Oregon is the fastest cutting with the 20LP series. The vibration levels are much less than the Carlton or Windsor counterparts. I noticed this when bucking up some dry sugar maple, and switched between my 2 2054's. One had a new 21LP chain and the other a new Carlton. I didn't time it, so take it for what it is worth. The bumper links seem to help the chain. :cheers:

The problem with the 95VP in this context probably is that it is a semi-chisel.

I suspect that Stihl RSC is about as fast as the LP, but hasn't tested it yet - hope I can some time in april....

Hi Frank how about thinning the file with a grinder for .325?
Use one side of the file to do 3/8" then remove the teeth from that side of the file plus a bit more material then you would have a thinner fresh file, You would be doing the gullets with a round file anyway.
Would that help?

Yes that would work. Would have to be very careful not to allow the heat of grinding soften the file at all. The vallorbe file that will come with the chisel bit roller guide system has much the configuration of half of a regular flat style double sided file. I dont have the number of it without a search.

If I remember correctly when you get far enough back on the tooth you can bend the rear of the chain down 90 degrees and the lower part of your file will pass behind the rear of the tie strap without cutting into it. No one is likely to bother unless they are really motivated.

Yes that would work. Would have to be very careful not to allow the heat of grinding soften the file at all. The vallorbe file that will come with the chisel bit roller guide system has much the configuration of half of a regular flat style double sided file. I dont have the number of it without a search.

If I remember correctly when you get far enough back on the tooth you can bend the rear of the chain down 90 degrees and the lower part of your file will pass behind the rear of the tie strap without cutting into it. No one is likely to bother unless they are really motivated.

Hi Tommy

The price for these files is as follows:

VLC2270-7 £8.46/FILE. These must be bought in quantities of 12 and the delivery time is 3 weeks approx.

Kind regards

Dawn

Thats a copy of a email i recieved those files are pricey!
I think that was the original style of file though, But i doubt the new style will be any cheaper!

Hi Tommy

The price for these files is as follows:

VLC2270-7 £8.46/FILE. These must be bought in quantities of 12 and the delivery time is 3 weeks approx.

"Give pounds away and rubies, but keep your fancy free".:clap:

How much US $ would that be? Like I said you really have to be motivated!

Here in Canada they cost about $7 US. or about one hour minimum wage.

"Give pounds away and rubies, but keep your fancy free".:clap:

How much US $ would that be? Like I said you really have to be motivated!

Here in Canada they cost about $7 US. or about one hour minimum wage.

$11.84 + VAT at 15% + carrage!

Can you get me the part number for your clutch? I have a 336 with a spur drive. I want to swap to a rim drive.

No luck in finding a part# yet. The IPL's that I have all show a spur set-up. Looked at a 339xp at the hardware store and it had a spur drum on it. My saw had a new edition sticker on it, they must of changed it to a rim set-up. I wonder how SawTrolls 339 is set-up?

I still want to try this NK, .325, 56dl's with a 8 pin sprocket. Using 95VP chain. The total weight of the chain and sprocket is 226 grams. I'm hoping to remove materal from the chain and get the weight under 200 grams.
Here is a shot of the chain that I want to file down.

Back