I think I want a reduced weight bar, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark2496

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Advice needed.

Don't know which one or if there's much dif in weight over the stock husqvarna bar. Also don't know how they hold up. It'll be for my 562xp, the stock 24" doesn't balance that well and I'm getting older every day so lighter would help!

Thanks
Mark

Some are lighter than others. I think the Stihl ES light and Oregon reduced weight are the lightest. Tsumara is next I think, then sugihara. @redbull660 has a thread on the subject. Comprehensive is an understatement.

Another option is a laminated bar. Not sure if you can find a 24" in large husky mount, but it's possible. They're generally similar in weight to a reduced weight bar, but cheaper. Obviously not as durable, though, and if you wreck the tip, you're SOL.

And finally, you can make your own. There's a thread or two on that subject also, but basically you gotta cut out some meat from the middle of the bar and replace it with JB weld or something similar.

Advice needed.

Don't know which one or if there's much dif in weight over the stock husqvarna bar. Also don't know how they hold up. It'll be for my 562xp, the stock 24" doesn't balance that well and I'm getting older every day so lighter would help!

Thanks
Mark

Or as others have recommended to me in the past, You could take up weight lifting.

to me the reduced weight bars are not worth it until you get to 28". the shorter ones are of course lighter still but so little it's way less noticable. the 20" light weights i have tried felt no different then a 20" heavy. a stihl es light or oregon RW would get you the most weight savings but i'm not even sure if they are available in 24". i run 36" stihl ES light and i won't have it any other way. everything else seems like junk after using one lol

Oregon RWs are not as stiff as OEM: some would say floppy.

Sugi Haras are almost the Weight of a standard bar.

I haven't fooled with Tsumaras.

I personally like the ES Lights the best.
I would say floppy it's not hard to mess up a back cut or missing line up when you're bucking with a 36" RW bar. Now is the weight savings worth it possibly for preference I'll stick to a cannon from 32 up. I can't imagine a 24" bar on a 562 feeling heavy or unbalanced myself I'll put a 32 on one and it feels great slight nose down for bumping knots.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!

Will that stihl 25" ES Light 3003-000-2231 fit on my 532?

And does it take the same chains?

Thanks Again!

I would say floppy it's not hard to mess up a back cut or missing line up when you're bucking with a 36" RW bar. Now is the weight savings worth it possibly for preference I'll stick to a cannon from 32 up. I can't imagine a 24" bar on a 562 feeling heavy or unbalanced myself I'll put a 32 on one and it feels great slight nose down for bumping knots.

Get you an adapter since your a Husky Guy, & give the ES Lights a try.

I'm impressed so far.

Thanks for all the replies!

Will that stihl 25" ES Light 3003-000-2231 fit on my 532?

And does it take the same chains?

Thanks Again!

562?

Huskys normally need the bar stud groove lengthened just a touch with a Dremel to use standard length chain with a Stihl bar: it takes about 7 minutes.

Get you an adapter since your a Husky Guy, & give the ES Lights a try.

I'm impressed so far.
From memory there's one issue you run into and that's the oiling holes don't exactly line up.

From memory there's one issue you run into and that's the oiling holes don't exactly line up.

I've not had that issue with 288s & 268s, but I suppose it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Tsumara bars are the highest quality bars I've seen so far. Never had my hand on a Cannon, they are pricy and from what's been said they're quite heavy. The Stihl RW bars are top notch quality and widely available. Sugihara bars are great as well, but they're getting hard to find.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The Tsumara bars are the highest quality bars I've seen so far. Never had my hand on a Cannon, they are pricy and from what's been said they're quite heavy. The Stihl RW bars are top notch quality and widely available. Sugihara bars are great as well, but they're getting hard to find.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
The cannons are good bars just heavy and not really needed till 42"+ then the bar belly is larger to help with cutter contact, like my 60" is like a wet noodle and can be a bugger to start a cut with.

Latest posts

Back