I want to build a hotsaw. Need info and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicJames

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been reading posts about porting and mods etc for the last two weeks. But I haven't found any information about what saws are good platforms to start on. I know any saw could be a "hotsaw" with enough mods but I also know there are classes by cc and also looks, as well as others. But I can't find any information about saw competitions in my area. I'm in Southwest Michigan so anyone with information about races near me so I could at least go and get information and contacts so I can start building my saw.
This is going to be a winter project so I've got plenty of time to get moving on this project.

Thanks, James

James welcome, as you see it's a tough question. Saw racing as a whole is very local and not easy to gain info in most cases. Most shows are put on by local groups(chamber of commerce, JCs,Elks and such) as fund raisers with no governing association involved so rules are local so what's legal at one town may not be at the next 40 miles down the road.
If you want a starting point I'd find out what the main large work saw is in your neck of the woods is. Out here it's 660/395 and do a good port job, tuned to perfection and build or buy the best chain possible. Stay away from pipes and Green Weanie air filters until you know the rules. Then enter all the work saw classes you can. Once you start competing you'll meet the people and get the info you need. Remember chain and technique beat hp. Hope this helps good luck Ken

James welcome, as you see it's a tough question. Saw racing as a whole is very local and not easy to gain info in most cases. Most shows are put on by local groups(chamber of commerce, JCs,Elks and such) as fund raisers with no governing association involved so rules are local so what's legal at one town may not be at the next 40 miles down the road.
If you want a starting point I'd find out what the main large work saw is in your neck of the woods is. Out here it's 660/395 and do a good port job, tuned to perfection and build or buy the best chain possible. Stay away from pipes and Green Weanie air filters until you know the rules. Then enter all the work saw classes you can. Once you start competing you'll meet the people and get the info you need. Remember chain and technique beat hp. Hope this helps good luck Ken

What are the names of a few hotsaw builders that are willing to build a saw for $?

I've got FullTiltSaws , anyone else?

The first thing to do is find out what the saw classes are in your area,state or country and decide what classes you want to run in and pick a saw you think will be competitive in it's class. I would avoid the Open Hot saw class at first as these are the most highly modified and most experienced racers. A 100cc class could be a good start,but be sure to know all rules and restrictions in the class first before you do any mods. I once spent weeks modifying an 084 to run on 50% nitro,a collosal amount of work,when I succeded in getting it to work I found out only gasoline was allowed and all my work was for nothing...
Also realise the 3 main ingredients to competing;
-OF course you need a powerful competitive saw
-A competitive racing chain is absolutely required(This data is not easy to find,competitors get very quiet if you ask them)
-Practice,practise! the best saw and chain in the world are useless if can't start and manouver the saw quickly.

@RedneckChainsawRepair might know. Or I can shoot a buddy a buzz, he's into the saw racing circuit.

Sure not that fulltiltsaws guy. Those were some hacked saws.

Cliff MI and Luc in Canada are the top notch builders, but you better break out you loan papers to buy top notch hotsaw builds. Thats for the real racing in alky/nitro

If gas lot of guys can do those for ya to make you happy I would think. Jason on west coast for that style racing.

My old saw. Alky/nitro

I been out of it since the end of 2010 season. But try and keep up with the racing part.

CH3120x.JPG

Sure not that fulltiltsaws guy. Those were some hacked saws.

Cliff MI and Luc in Canada are the top notch builders, but you better break out you loan papers to buy top notch hotsaw builds. Thats for the real racing in alky/nitro

If gas lot of guys can do those for ya to make you happy I would think. Jason on west coast for that style racing.

My old saw. Alky/nitro

I been out of it since the end of 2010 season. But try and keep up with the racing part.

View attachment 1022571
So who is the hot saw builder this year you recommend?

So who is the hot saw builder this year you recommend?
Real race saws or just ported work saws?

If full alky/nitro saws. 1 in Canada now days and 1 in US. The one in US dont build for folks he dont know. The one in Canada pretty picky too. But I would vouch for both.

Same as last year. Cliff MI and Luc in Canada are the top notch builders for race saws.

Latest posts

Back