If someone was going to build a hot saw......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff-1972

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What saw would you use for the 100cc and up(6.0 c.i. or better).I thought about the 088,3120,2100,090 and so on.I want y'all's opinion to use.Let the brand war being:D

088 or 3120. It's a tossup, IMHO. 3120 gets you the best bang for the buck, but the 088 can be made to get the job done. It just takes more work and cash to do it. 2100's, while a great 100cc saw, ultimately just aren't big enough to outdo the 120 cc saws above. The 090, while over 130cc's is somewhat of an enigma from what I gather. I've heard many and varied stories about it's ultimate applicability to full race hotsaw applications. Ken Dunn can tell you all about these things. He's the recognized expert around here. Certainly not me.

He's got my 371XP as we speak:D Just seeing what y'all think is best for the 100cc and up.I like the 3120 also.There just isn't a lot of them in this area to find used.I don't really like the idea of buying a new saw,although it could be better that way,and then send it to be tore down.I guess I'll have to see what I can find.

That's a question I'd really like to know the answer to. I'd also like to know, assuming money were no object, which of the following saws would cut the fastest as a woods saw when modified: 066 or 395 XP?

Also, how would a moddified 385 XP compare to a moddified 066 or 395 XP? How about a modified 372 XP?

The fastest through the wood Hotsaw I know of right now is the 409 D & D that Matt Bush runs. I think the first answer you need to find is what size wood are you running in? 8x8, 10x10, and 12x12 are standard size for most of the wood at the woodsman's competitions. When you get to the bigger shows the wood is 18-24 round. and you will need at least a 250cc saw to even place in the top 20. Better would be a 325 or 340 rotax. For all the racing that I do with the exception of 2 meets my 3120 is perfect. Its lighter than most so I can pick it up fast but has enough power to get me consistantly in the top 10 for most races.

Later,
Chris

Originally posted by Chainsaw_Maniac
which of the following saws would cut the fastest as a woods saw when modified: 066 or 395 XP?
Also, how would a moddified 385 XP compare to a moddified 066 or 395 XP? How about a modified 372 XP?

My guess... A full-mod 395 would eat an 066 up. I think the 385 and 066 would be a better race, either woods or race job. All would eat a 372.

Originally posted by bwalker
I should hope so. The question is what would a full mod 066 do to a 395 full mod?
I meant the 395 should take the 066 at equal levels of tune. I would think the 385 is a better race for the 066 full-mod. I doubt the 385 would win, but bet it would close the gap near the upper limit of mods. I defer to the KDHotsaws of the world on this, though. My biggest saw is a stock 80cc (but hopefully will be a piped, dual-carbed 123cc before too long).

OK I just half to know Bruiser..... what 80cc saw you have that you are going to punch out to 123cc? You are talking about a 50% + gain in displacment and if you can do this I would love as most of the guys here would love to see that saw run.
:Monkey:

And who is building the saw?? But in your defence if you added 4mm of stroke and 3mm of bore to a 181 saw that would be neat if it could be pulled off. As far as the duel carb thought you have..... save your self or some saw builder the hasle and run a HR-368 or HR-380 or go with the proven 360/ 355 carbs. I know KD has a sweet 355 alky he would probably part with.

OK off the soap box I go.....

Later dude!
Chris

Originally posted by stihlman036
OK I just half to know Bruiser..... what 80cc saw you have that you are going to punch out to 123cc?
Nothing as exotic as you're thinking Chris. Take a Mac 250, replace the engine with an MC101 kart motor. see: arboristsite.com/macsawpage.php . I got a line on a MC91 and will likely go this route. I built a West Bend engine to do much the same thing, but those old saws are alot harder to come by. I know of one and I'm still trying to talk the guy out of it. I like the benders better than the macs. I hear ya on the big single carb. I've heard the same thing from some of the kart guys. If I could fit it under the hood and run a can, it oughta be one mean stock-looking saw.

West Bend saw

Here's a picture of the kinda saw I'd really like to build. Made by Whitehead in the 60's, many were sold as Montgomery Wards. Also, I believe Mono made a few similar ones. Came stock with a West Bend 820. These motors are still in production for kart racing. Old speed parts are harder to come by, but around. I had 'em all but sadly got rid of them in a fit of frustration trying to find a saw. Shortly thereafter I found this saw, and am still trying to get it from it's owner. Art Martin has the sweetest looking one I've seen. If anybody runs across one, lemme know.
__hr_bendersaw.gif

Last edited:
Back