If you could only have one saw what would it be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 156 cuts like a 357XP but might weigh a little more. Very nice saw. Handles well also. Quake is nice but 38 cc cant match 56 cc quad port. Feels like twice the power.
Well, I was kidding about the Quake. Mine will start and run well every time, but it wouldn't be my choice for only saw.

MS 880 with a 60". I'd sell it and buy a used 394, 288, and 385, and have plenty left over to buy some temporary female companionship

Here,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415933189.186875.jpg
She'll fit right in ;)

I wish I had a RE 88 or 880 with a 48" bar for next week.....

Considering my current needs I'd stick to the my Dolmar PS6400 and go with variable guide bar lengths , one shorter (14" or 15") and one longer (28") then the current 20" it is equipped with!

I recently purchased a Dolmar PS7900 , but have to get a proper opinion on her through more extended usage. :chainsaw:
She should have more grunt then the PS6400 and might be a little tougher to control in terms of handling!
@ this point the Dolmar PS7900 is an assumed close 2nd! :)

ms261 or 390 xp both masterminded cos they're just frikken amazing

OK, since no context was provided, let's change the question: The economy has tanked badly and fuel is expensive. You've had to sell off a lot just to get by, including saws, but you need wood for heat. Spare parts and paying someone else to do service is mostly out of reach. Now what saw do you keep?

OK, since no context was provided, let's change the question: The economy has tanked badly and fuel is expensive. You've had to sell off a lot just to get by, including saws, but you need wood for heat. Spare parts and paying someone else to do service is mostly out of reach. Now what saw do you keep?
The ones that you always grab and use first when working of course.

Your little twist changes it a bit. If fuel became the biggest concern, suddenly the Strato saws become very appealing. It may also at that point become less economically appealing to haul and split larger rounds. In which case I'd want maybe either a 365xt or possibly a ms261. While I wish the 261 was as light and handled like an 026, I was simply amazed at how it sipped fuel.

Your little twist changes it a bit. If fuel became the biggest concern, suddenly the Strato saws become very appealing. It may also at that point become less economically appealing to haul and split larger rounds. In which case I'd want maybe either a 365xt or possibly a ms261. While I wish the 261 was as light and handled like an 026, I was simply amazed at how it sipped fuel.
I really like my stock 261.

Now I would go opposite. If you were burning fuel anyway, a strato *big* saw to do blocks, then hand split. I would use a bow saw and buck saw on smaller stuff. Absolutely no need to burn gas on small stuff, once you get into actually using a biodrive saw. It's a learned skill and once some muscles and muscle memory develops, you can knock out some firewood.

Our society has gotten to the point that a lot of people simply don't even think of doing anything unless an engine is attached to it. I see kids in my area today that are the porker waddlers of the future, they don't walk anywhere! Has to be a quad or dirt bike! I don't even see any kids on bicycles anymore in my area. I see some guys who have high end road bicycles, but no generic kids or neighbors on regular bikes. That's in the US, go to a lot of other places it just ain't so. Bicycles are great transportation for a lot of uses, no need for any engine or burning fuel outside of lunch, and in many areas of the planet, three wheelers with manpower move freight. They make brand new modern ones that are stout. A wheelbarrow and hand pull wagon will move freight/wood as well. A bow saw and axe and (cheap plastic) sled/toboggan kept me warm in maine for years, many cords a year.

Back