If you could only have one saw what would it be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, since no context was provided, let's change the question: The economy has tanked badly and fuel is expensive. You've had to sell off a lot just to get by, including saws, but you need wood for heat. Spare parts and paying someone else to do service is mostly out of reach. Now what saw do you keep?
Run the 359 till all the fuel was siphoned out of all the vehicles! Then switch to horseback, 2 man bucksaw, ax, and pure American guts!

Any quality 50cc class saw of your choice. Light enough for limbing, powerful enough to buck most logs.

OK, since no context was provided, let's change the question: The economy has tanked badly and fuel is expensive. You've had to sell off a lot just to get by, including saws, but you need wood for heat. Spare parts and paying someone else to do service is mostly out of reach. Now what saw do you keep?
How did you know? I gotta stay off the 'net.

The scenario I described is exactly what I'm expecting. For my purposes an 18" bar is sufficient for most of my firewood gathering. The most common bar & chain combo is lo pro 18" 62DL with an A041 mount. That fits my GZ4000 & clones, as well as my old Craftsman/Poulan 42cc (basically a Wild Thing with A/V). I'd want to keep one of the strato GZ4000s as they are light, powerful and efficient, and I do have a fair amount of spares, but otherwise parts will be hard to come by.

The 42cc Craftsmans are everywhere and more will be crawling out of the woodwork in that scenario. They are not that efficient, but not too bad. They are simple, reliable and decently powerful. Therefore I will always have one of those around and it would be the last saw I'd get rid of.

I'd probably be better off getting a newer 42cc Poulan Pro with a strato engine, as those are very common too and more efficient.

Eventually that will be the norm again, but not yet. Especially while we all live in our isolated nuclear families and there isn't enough manpower available. That will change as kids cannot afford to move out on their own.

Chris-Pa
I've been thinking "gas mizer" saws and I think you've got it nailed real good! The Husky 350 fits my mentality much better.
I'm afraid gas is going to be a real problem when that time comes, so the picture above is what it might be.

I would sell my petrol lawnmower and get a reel mower ,
Then I would keep my 064.
Not to much weight with a 20in bar and perfict with 24-30in bar.
Dam saw will most likely stihl be spitting wood chips long after I'm in the ground ;)

By good friend down the street says that his Husky 353 is the only saw he will own for the rest of his life. However, he has never run my Stihl MS361 nor my Stihl 026 Pro. I have a feeling if ever ran either of them, he would change his tune. Remember that physical strength of the operator has a lot to do with the choice.

my 562xp with a nice light weight bar for great balance:new-saw-bar.jpg

however, when I get into my 70's in a few years, I'll likely want an even lighter saw (550xp) if/when doing a full days work. My plan is to keep working out with weights in the off season, to make sure I don't have to give up fav pastime of felling, bucking and packing home/splitting wood

:muscle:

Latest posts

Back