If you had to choose 1 saw from these

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A little personal delima, because I like them all, yet I only need one large saw. If you had to pick one saw from this group to run a 24" bar occasionally, which one would it be? I would hate to get rid of any of them, need the money though.

Husqvarna 266SE
Pioneer P41
Husqvarna 285CD
Stihl 044
Stihl 440

Never run an 044, but my 440 runs like a scalded dog! What makes the 044 better than a 440? I thought they were basically the same.

I can't tell from your sig. Lol. Its a little difficult as well when there are reasons for each of them. The P41 is just a great old school muscle saw that I love how it sounds, the 266SE was my first Husqvarna and rebuild, 285CD is my biggest besides the xp1020 homelite, and I haven't finished the Stihls yet so I don't know about them. They are just saws but some are more enjoyable than others.

I like the 10mm 44 as much as anyone but there is a reason they went to 12mm. If I was going to only have 1 saw to pull a 24" bar it would be the 440. Not as sexy, but more reliable me thinks.

10mm 044 hands down. The porting and crankcase design is killer on those old beasts. They also had a unique sound which just screamed old school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That echo will only reliably pull that bar with skip chain, and would still be underwhelming. I wouldn't though, if I had the 044 already. Thats the whole reason I picked up the DolKita, wanted a saw that would RIP with a longer bar.

Nonetheless, keep the one you have the most fun running, they're all good saws.

I really like my Pioneer P40 which is very similar to the p41, but with Huztl around supplying cheap replacement parts for the 044, I would keep that if I was forced to make the choice.

Stihl 044 or 440. No problems with either one. I generally pull no longer than a 28" bar with this saw. I go to the 046 for that. Dumbest decision I ever made was to sell my MS440. Funny thing -- the guy I sold it to won't let me by it back from him.

Back