If you have about $5000, which splitter would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the market for a splitter early next year. My local shop sells Dosko, Iron and Oak and Timberwolf. He has a TW5 on the floor for $7600. He also has the commercial I&O model with log lift for just over $6000. The Dosko unit looks interesting as it splits both directions and is priced at $2600.

This past winter I split about 16 full cord using a friends Timberwolf tw2 with a 4 way slip on. I feel like I was pushing the splitter past its design point and don't feel a splitter that size would last long. I envision Ill probably split about 10 cords per year, max.

I'm not interested in a vertical model. I like the push block on the ram as it allows me to push splits off the end.

My other option is to take my budget and build. Im capable and built a splitter a few years ago, but not sure I want to devote the time to it.

Casey,
having done vertical and horizontal and now having blown my L5-S1 Disk in my back, here's my thoughts: I would either buy a nice used TW-5 (as the 6 and 7 are out of that budget and though I love the idea of the 7, much like the Tempest but knots will bind them up and or break the box blades) or a Super Split HD or Special Edition. Single stage pumps as on most commercial units are better for long term durability, but having a two stage, like an old Powerglide, is a wonderful thing when busting through knarley knots. I would NOT have a vertical as its hard on the back at any age, more so once permanent damage has been done. The real question is do you want a log lift. I am leaning towards the S.S-S.E. as I'd like to never have to deal with Hyd hoses or fluid again. That said the log lift does appeal to me greatly and outside of adding a capstan winch of some sort to the S.S. OR having an additional means of lifting big rounds means I'm noodling with the S.S. The log lift solves that problem on the hyd units. I've also found that when dealing with the large Oak, Hedge and other hard/dense rounds that would make me want a vertical machine, the weight involved is even harder on the back when trying to horse them around to get them on the splitter's toe...

Given the mentioned choices I'd look at all of them as none seem like a bad choice, but I'd want to give them an honest test drive in the wood you intend to split for a bit of context before shelling out 5K and possibly being dissatisfied...

I vote build it! Make it exactly for your height. To build a timberwolf, with middle of the road steel prices, you could build most of the mentioned timberwolfs for half the prices. Make a huge table, autocycle, oversized hydraulic tank, huge filter. If you wanted to get crazy, add 12V lights and a canopy. 22 GPM pump if you are looking for speed. If you don't care for it (either homemade or store bought) I have found the loss on one really is NOT all that bad, if at all on a homemade one. If you were to build one, you may have enough left to find a used conveyor and really save your back......

I built one when I was in high school/working in an industrial fab shop. Originally I had $864 dollars in it and still have it today with a handful of mods and upgrades. Replaces original I-beam with an H-beam, added gussets throughout, 8HP honda to 13HP Harbor freight, 11GPM to a 22 GPM, regular valve to a spring detent return valve, bigger table/wings, added 2- 12V halogen lights.....not much to look at but wicked fast and will split anything......

ol faithful.jpeg

I like the local aspect. Their splitters look very nice.

I haven't totally ruled out building. I enjoy welding projects, but with a limited amount of ability to deal with fitting steel together, and the size of the steel that would be used, its just frustrating. And when I start having to pay someone to machine and cut your steel, I might as well buy one already done.

I'm kinda in the same boat as Casey and Locust. I am really wanting to try out the Wallenstein WP series of wood processors to save on the back but the $$$ is a little higher than the OP want to spend and I am getting a little grief from the financial committee on it. That and you are limited to 22 inch logs. I have a lot of logs that exceed that and I dearly hate to just let them lay because I didn't have the means to fool with it. My BIL done this with a rather large cherry. I drug it out and used the sledge and wedge to start it and ended up with about 3/4 cord of wood.

All that being said, I am kind of turned off of Timberwolf, and others, due to the lack of auto cycle. For a one man show, auto cycle can be a real time saver. I have also toyed with doing a build, but with dong hay, weedeating, sending my son off to college, time to build is at a minimum and I probably wouldn't have it done by this time next year. So I have been looking at the Better Built. Their 11HP is on par with the TW5 and still has auto cycle. Price is comparable to the TW. If I could find a deal on a TW, new or used, I might be motivated to retrofit with the autocycle valve, but by the time you buy the valve, hoses and fittings, your going to be in it for another $350 - $500.

What model did you price and what was the price?
It was the AM25hh with a log lift, I don't remember the price but it was not outrages and in my opinion it would be everything I need for 9 cords per year. I talked to the guy on the phone and he seemed like a good guy who was willing to work something out with me as far as delivery.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg;-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant

I guess this is the newer model to my HUSKEE 22-ton I bought from TSC way back in 2000. The splitter has never missed a beat (oil/filter/plug changes) and I do close to 10 cords a year between myself and helping friends/family. I did weld a log cradle onto it when I first got it home.

So that's $1000 for 15+ years of splitting, I figure your $5000 could buy 75 years worth (5 splitters) from TSC. :happy:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/huskeereg;-22-ton-log-splitter-carb-compliant

I guess this is the newer model to my HUSKEE 22-ton I bought from TSC way back in 2000. The splitter has never missed a beat (oil/filter/plug changes) and I do close to 10 cords a year between myself and helping friends/family. I did weld a log cradle onto it when I first got it home.

So that's $1000 for 15+ years of splitting, I figure your $5000 could buy 75 years worth (5 splitters) from TSC. :happy:

I used an 8# maul and sledge and wedge for years. Even cheaper and more reliable. While the TSC splitters are certainly a step up from that, they are lacking. One, to do large rounds you have to go vertical. Two, they don't have the push through design that the OP is wanting. Sometimes, due to time constraints, physical ailments, or both, you have to step up your game. Having to lift heavy rounds is killer on the back and so is squatting when you have to go vertical.

I used an 8# maul and sledge and wedge for years. Even cheaper and more reliable. While the TSC splitters are certainly a step up from that, they are lacking. One, to do large rounds you have to go vertical. Two, they don't have the push through design that the OP is wanting. Sometimes, due to time constraints, physical ailments, or both, you have to step up your game. Having to lift heavy rounds is killer on the back and so is squatting when you have to go vertical.

I guess it depends on the back, but my semi-wonky one does a lot better going vertical for the big stuff. I don't usually have to squat - just roll the round up across a small piece of round stuff right into place under the wedge, then hit the lever while standing. Doesn't take that much effort especially if you can get the splitter down hill a bit from the rounds. If I do want to get down to where the wood is once the big stuff gets smaller & some resplitting is needed, I just sit on a round.

10 cords a year isn't really a big amount, I couldn't justify a $5k expense here for that - I would take the $3500 difference for say an Ariens or DHT or Huskee or the like and put it towards something else I could use.

To each their own though...

I've eyed the TSC units... For everything they have going for them, they aren't quite what I am after.

I have a basketball court in the front of my house that doubles as my splitting area. I do this to keep the mess contained and easier to clean up. My woodpile is on the backside of the house. So I split into a trailer and haul it around to the back. Thats why I want the wedge on the end of the beam, so I can split into the trailer and only have to handle the splits to stack them.

Back