If you have about $5000, which splitter would you buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be in the market for a splitter early next year. My local shop sells Dosko, Iron and Oak and Timberwolf. He has a TW5 on the floor for $7600. He also has the commercial I&O model with log lift for just over $6000. The Dosko unit looks interesting as it splits both directions and is priced at $2600.

This past winter I split about 16 full cord using a friends Timberwolf tw2 with a 4 way slip on. I feel like I was pushing the splitter past its design point and don't feel a splitter that size would last long. I envision Ill probably split about 10 cords per year, max.

I'm not interested in a vertical model. I like the push block on the ram as it allows me to push splits off the end.

My other option is to take my budget and build. Im capable and built a splitter a few years ago, but not sure I want to devote the time to it.

I would start looking next year as the market changes all the time. Waste of time to look now when you buy in 10 months......

Perhaps a receiver mounted to the front or the FEL if not going far? Looooong drawbar extension if not much weight? Dolly wheel with receiver that pins to the end of the splitter? Easy-change 3PH hooks for quick hook-ups?

I bought a used tw5 for 2500 bucks - its the 36 inch model. = power washed it - changed the hydro fluid - engine oil and have been splitting wood ever since(3 yrs) - have a 4 and 6 way head and log lift+ table . Its fast - powerful and hard to break. I also use an American CLS machine. very well built ! it has the 8hp and the smaller pump. I would upgrade the pump and engine to a 13 hp and a 22gpm pump. The TW5 is just a lot faster and has auto cycle with is really nice. You can't go wrong with either machine.

Perhaps a receiver mounted to the front or the FEL if not going far? Looooong drawbar extension if not much weight? Dolly wheel with receiver that pins to the end of the splitter? Easy-change 3PH hooks for quick hook-ups?

No loader on the tractor and the 3 point is rated at 790 pounds. Ive given this a fair bit of thought and a stand alone splitter fits my needs better than a 3 point.

No loader on the tractor and the 3 point is rated at 790 pounds. Ive given this a fair bit of thought and a stand alone splitter fits my needs better than a 3 point.
Same here. Plenty of other things the tractor can be doing while an independent splitter is running.

Probably have to put up a pole barn then to keep the tractor's and splitter out of the weather. It's a must to protect your investment. Ya know a quad pulls a splitter and even a trailer rather well.

Yup... Im trying to NOT go down that road. Right now we need to keep things very simple while we walk my wifes Mom through her last days. I just don't have the time to get wrapped up in any large projects.

Back