If you love ash trees, news doesn't get any better than this:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following Up on this subject

I have been using ArborJet TreeAge for over a year and have had excellent results. The pro's have well out weighed the cons. I have carefully watched the E.A.B. and control issues for years. I can tell you Treeage is the smart money for the Arborist and the Customer. When a tree can be saved so effectively.
A careful applicator can give a simple injection that has proved to have lasting protection with minimal impact to even a infested tree. The vascular systems repair far out weighs the trunks impact. Knowing how to treat and which trees to inject is the key.
It's very satisfiying to see your customers trees thrive again when unforunately others have lost theirs. If only more knew of the treatment. Too many times I have to hear I wish I would have known !
Other areas begining to experience the E.A.B. needs to address firewood movements better and make treatment issues better known, we here in Michigan we know firsthand !

Its for injection is super expensive and Safari and pentra bark do a great job also. So does Merit with the right timing and moisture.

I heard the label and LD50 for the benzoate are nasty toxic, havent seen it myself, so be careful.
Drilling holes isnt any good either.

Safari and pentra bark work well if there is no grass around the trunk of the tree. Pentra bark will burn the grass. I've used merit for 10 years for EAB and your right w/the proper moisture it does work well. As for Tree-age being "nasty toxic" it has an oral LD50 of 3100+ and dermal of 5,000 which makes it WAY less than "nasty toxic". As for drlling holes, the holes that EAB 'drill" are ALOT worse than injection sites. I used Tree-age this year, it can be slow to inject, due to the volume used (it's mixed w/water.) An example of that is a site I injected last year, 9 very large trees took about 4 hours last year w/wedgle. This year w/Arbor-jet it took a day and 1/2 due to slow translocation. It should be known that I had only one 8 site Tree I.V. setup which allowed me to do half of one tree at a time. The product cost was also MUCH higher w/Arbor-jet. I used 2.5 liters at $375 ea. (I used the "mid-high" rate on the card).

Last edited:
Uptake can be a real pain. I often wish I had more than the 3 bottles running at once. Your single bottle system... wow thats a hard way to go !

1) Safari is now labeled to be sprayed on the bark without Pentra Bark. I talked with Valent about this...apparently, Pentra Bark does little (if anything) to increase it's uptake. The initial studies use for the "special use label" were sponsored by Pentra Bark, so that is why the initial label needed that. Now Valent has their own work without that, and there is a supplemtal label for bark spray (no Pentra Bark mentioned) for a list of hosts/pests (see pages 4/5).

2) Safari is a LOT easier to apply than Tree-Age, but is more expensive on a per inch of diameter cost if I have done my calculations correctly (mid-high rate for Tree-Age, highest rate for Safari). Per treatment, Tree-Age is more, but since it lasts 2 years and Safari needs every year, it works out that way. Now...adding in labor may tilt the scales back to Safari. I bought the Quick-Jet...and wish I didn't, because it is not. I assume with the Tree IV, I could get it started and move onto something else? With the Quick, jet, it is hard to push it in, and you need 4 shots per plug at 5ml per shot (1 plug per 2" of dbh, then 10ml per inch of dbh...comes out to 20ml per plug).

Back