If You Were A Skidder, Which One Would You Be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cable JD440 turbo. The woods and terrian around these parts don't allow for much bigger unless it's a whomp job clear cut. Still plenty of juice to get a good load out. Would'nt wanna screw up any of them future veener trees with a monster :)

Working highway construction, I grew an affection for all things Caterpillar, however Tigercat makes some pretty nice skidders.

I guess since I am a part time horse shoer, and considering the cost of diesel, I would have to say that this would be me:
SCM_ZD47C81.jpg

Now don't anybody get to thinking that I am a big guy because these are big draft horses. I guess to make that comparison, and to acknowledge my hard-headedness, and maybe what my wife thinks of me sometimes; this would be me:laugh:
Dangers%20of%20overloading%20your%20horse%20!_WEB.jpg

If it was in my days out on the riggin I'd say (self powered) remember the old saying "if they kiss they f##ck" seems You could never have quite as long of a choker as You needed when You got to You're logs those old bells and nubbins like to flirt sometimes and not hookup, and they all seemed way too long dragging em.

Good looking team, I've got a couple of good sized John mules we ride, and skid a log or two around the place with, but never had the pleasure of working with drafts. I am jealous:cry:

Oh don't be jealous of me, they are not mine:D It is a friend of mines, I went with him one day to help skid logs, a local timber buyer hires the Draft Horse Association to skid logs now and then, when the seller wants a little foot print left in his woods. It was a cool experience I hope to do it again.

I would be a 230 Timber Jack from the 70's, becouse they have the big loud Detroits in them.

Last edited:
Back