If you were to buy a new saw 60 cc and under

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be In the market for a new firewood saw. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

What is your favorite 1 saw 60cc and under for getting firewood? Lets say 18" and smaller whole trees.

List bar length and chain type. And pros/ cons about the model.

ONLY 1 saw this time fella's

Thank you
Joe

18" and smaller? Get a 261CM, remove the baffle in the muffler, and run a 20 inch bar.

I used a ported 241 for such work, btw.

Stihl MS 261 C-M 16" E with RM chain.

The 550xpat is just too peaky to comfortably notch, back cut, wedge, and fell bar length hard wood like that. Then, when you get to those limbs the only thing the Husqy does better is make decibels. On that tree pictured, you'd have to have four guys dragging cut branches away at full speed to even keep your little homey at capacity. Even though I have a dozen work saws, I really only head out to the woods with a 261 or 362. Furthermore, I always firewood with RM chain, RS is just too touchy. The MS 362 C-M 20" E with RM will feel like a lightweight light Saber next to your 80cc + homies.

That is what I am looking to do. I believe a new 60cc saw will fit the gap between my old homelites. For the firewood I typically cut I don't think I can go wrong with 60 cc.

Me too. But this is a pick one and only thread with no budget, so have fun and choose wisely.:dancing:

I have a 82 cc homelite that is used with 20" bar and up, looking for a 60cc setup for 16-18" bars

Even with all the limbs? still use the 440?[/QUOTE]

No, I start out with the limbing saws , the Husky 346 or the stihl 261 then when I feel they are getting a little slow in the bigger logs I switch to the 440 Stihl. You don't need a 60 CC saw get a 70 CC saw.

I prefer the small mount. All my saws except the 562 are small mount.

Me too , ive given them all a fair shake now , i know its different strokes for different folks but id like to see someone run a 2260 and a 362 back to back..not just cutting 2 cookies and keep a straight face and say they like the 362 better.

Me too , ive given them all a fair shake now , i know its different strokes for different folks but id like to see someone run a 2260 and a 362 back to back..not just cutting 2 cookies and keep a straight face and say they like the 362 better.

This was a nice one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419086066.749601.jpg

I am going to be In the market for a new firewood saw. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

What is your favorite 1 saw 60cc and under for getting firewood? Lets say 18" and smaller whole trees.

List bar length and chain type. And pros/ cons about the model.

Jonsered 2253 or Husqvarna 550XP, depending on color preference.
18" bar.
Find a tree and have fun.

I didn't see anyone mention the 545/Jred 2252, which is a 550 mechanically, just less aggressive tuning.. It's also a hundred bucks cheaper. I love mine.

If I was buying it, my choice in the class would be a 555 with a 20" bar.. IMO, that is the peak performer for the money spent, besides the Echo 590. A ported 362 is gonna cost the better part of a grand. That's a lot of money for one saw, especially a 60cc.

Let me throw in my two cents again with a longer explanation. You say you want a 60cc saw so go pick a 60ishcc saw that handles the best for you, preferably a pro model that our porting wizards have had good success modifying. Have it ported.

Basis for recommendation: The speed of the saw though important is not the biggest factor in productivity - you are. The more comfortable you are with a properly sized saw the more efficient and productive you will be. Once you pick the saw that handles best to you, then get it ported to achieve its maximum efficiency and productivity. Pick your accessories and chains with the same in mind. A former AS poster was known for saying with reference to chains types and the frequency of sharpening "faster by seconds, slower by minutes." The same principle applies to saws. A poor handling fast saw will likely result in less productivity at the end of the day than a slightly slower but better handling saw.

Ron

Back