I'm done stacking!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my second load today. I was able to stack them a little tighter and we got 25 on this load!

Plus an added bonus. They had about 100 heavy duty rolling garbage cans that the city of Milwaukee uses. I scored 3 of them for the house. Let's see if my retarded garbage guy can trash these.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A client of mine has about 40-50 cords of logs that need to be cut and split. Right now they are in 12'-14' lengths and stacked outside, up off the ground. I showed him this thread and he is seriously thinking of getting the tote cages. He found a place that had them and will deliver them.

FWIW, the log piles are (on average, if "squared" off), 6' high x 13' wide x 24' long (3 of them), another pile 2'x10'x15' and 3 logs that are on average 20" dia and 19' long. Plus I have to cut down 3 Oaks that are 18"-24" DBH that are standing dead. I approached him about selling the logs to a mill, but he sees more value in them to him as firewood.

Now my question is this:
Since he's going to be storing the wood in a lean-to with a concrete floor, I'm assuming that they could be stacked at least 2 high, full of wood. (moved with a FEL w/forks or a pallet jack ). Can the cages be modified a bit - maybe cutting out part of one side to allow getting the wood out from the front vs. the top? IIRC the pieces will be 16" long. If they are not piled high so they could be stacked two high, (maybe the top one piled high) how many do you guys think he needs?

They are not that heavy, in fact pretty light. If carefully stacked on top of each other yes but I would not cut
a side out and hope to stack them. In fact I imagine they won't hold up if you cut a side out and don't stack them

They are not that heavy, in fact pretty light. If carefully stacked on top of each other yes but I would not cut
a side out and hope to stack them. In fact I imagine they won't hold up if you cut a side out and don't stack them

I completely agree with this.

Those totes with the plastic containers still in them are actually VERY handy also. It's always good to keep a couple around.

Used oil, bluelight special diesel fuel, you know...stuff.

I wasn't thinking of cutting out a whole side, just a slot in one side large enough to get wood out, and make sure to keep the top one or two "rails" intact to hold the top together. and at least one "rail" on the bottom to keep that together as well.

We'll see how it goes, he had the guy stop by today to see what it'd cost to get the logs cut up, split and thrown in the totes. I guess he'll make a decision after he hears the price of the labor if he gets the totes or not. If he doesn't, I don't know how he'll store the wood...

I wasn't thinking of cutting out a whole side, just a slot in one side large enough to get wood out, and make sure to keep the top one or two "rails" intact to hold the top together. and at least one "rail" on the bottom to keep that together as well.

We'll see how it goes, he had the guy stop by today to see what it'd cost to get the logs cut up, split and thrown in the totes. I guess he'll make a decision after he hears the price of the labor if he gets the totes or not. If he doesn't, I don't know how he'll store the wood...
Sure sounds like a funny guy. Doesn't know how to store firewood. How about the traditional way of simply splitting and stacking....

Personally I would cut anything on those totes. Their stability would be seriously compromised.

I used to see these totes at a chemical plant I worked at they had a plastic tub inside that held 250 gallons (I think) sometimes the plastic tank breaks and thats how you get some with just the bars. To be really effective you would need a outdoor hilo that will rotate the forks 180 degrees to dump. Used to jump in a empty one with a paint sprayer and have a hilo move me around the building to paint or pressure wash the exterior fast and easy no ladders needed. PS I chained or banded the cage to the hilo mast so it couldn't fall off. I think the cages footprint was 48" long by 40" wide by 48" high. (Standard pallet size)

Sure sounds like a funny guy. Doesn't know how to store firewood. How about the traditional way of simply splitting and stacking....

Personally I would cut anything on those totes. Their stability would be seriously compromised.

Yep.

If a t post in soft ground can hold up a rick, then why can't a little stamped tubing?

Latest posts

Back