I'm fed up with the ridiculous high price of Stihl, Husqvarna top handle saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyctreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It's stupid, no way can these moronic prices be justified, and the reason the prices are so high is because guys in the tree biz seem to think they have to have one no matter what the cost.
I refuse to pay 800 to 900 fracking dollars for a top handle saw when I can buy a huge saw for the same price.
So I'm going off the reservation and trying another brand.

For years I used the 020av super, then I got the ms200t used on fleabay for $400 a couple years ago.
Now I'm needing a new saw and the prices are retarded.

I'm looking at various brands but have no experience with any of them.

I'm reading up on the red max, tanaka, hitachi, etc.

Got any suggestions?

Seems to me that tools are the last thing you want to cheap out on when you make your living with them. How many trees do you have to cut to pay for a saw? Surely can't be that many. How long are you willing to mess with an inferior product over the few dollars you'll save and make back in a few days at most anyway? As a customer, I expect to pay a lot less for a "professional" that's using substandard equipment. I figure if they know what they're doing and they're worth my time, they sure as heck better be competent enough to afford a proper saw.

Husky have never made a decent TH, Stihl do know how to do it but charge too much. Stihl have only just caught onto the 25cc TH with the ms150 so they are'nt exactly leaders in the field. Their is a NIB Efco in the post for $250? and its 35cc, Solo 637, echo 271/355, tanaka ect. There are plenty of options out there if you look a bit, l have ms200/201 and a few others and my favourite TH is a Makita 231t (N/A in US). Light wieght in a TH to me is more important than power but you don't need to spend the best part of a grand to get a decent TH.

The Efco saws are well built. They seem to be a bit heavier though I've never actually weighed them. Carl (guy that owns the saw shop i work out of) is a dealer so I've messed with them a fair amount.
Parts are sometimes hard to get, even as a dealer.

Seems to me that tools are the last thing you want to cheap out on when you make your living with them. How many trees do you have to cut to pay for a saw? Surely can't be that many. How long are you willing to mess with an inferior product over the few dollars you'll save and make back in a few days at most anyway? As a customer, I expect to pay a lot less for a "professional" that's using substandard equipment. I figure if they know what they're doing and they're worth my time, they sure as heck better be competent enough to afford a proper saw.
I'm not convinced they are inferior products.
I'm not paying almost $1000 for a forking top handle saw ... it's ridiculous.
I'll go back to the 020av before I do that.
We're not talking a few dollars, we're talking like 500 dollars give or take.

The Efco saws are well built. They seem to be a bit heavier though I've never actually weighed them. Carl (guy that owns the saw shop i work out of) is a dealer so I've messed with them a fair amount.
Parts are sometimes hard to get, even as a dealer.
I've ruled the efco out, but I'd like to see one in the field.

I stopped by my Stihl dealer today picking up some spare parts for my bag and held a 160 battery unit today, heck I did not know they even made one I knew Stihl made push mowers, weed eaters, and leaf blower that are battery powered, but not a saw.
I also looked at that 201T today, yep it was a little pricey but dang it felt like part of your arm when moving it list price was $629.95 for a 14" bar, but if you have a regular dealer you can get better pricing on it.

Many things are overpriced however you will find that with all brands, but I am surprised at your post towards Stihl considering the nice topic you posted with pics just a couple of days ago.

I stopped by my Stihl dealer today picking up some spare parts for my bag and held a 160 battery unit today, heck I did not know they even made one I knew Stihl made push mowers, weed eaters, and leaf blower that are battery powered, but not a saw.
I also looked at that 201T today, yep it was a little pricey but dang it felt like part of your arm when moving it list price was $629.95 for a 14" bar, but if you have a regular dealer you can get better pricing on it.

Many things are overpriced however you will find that with all brands, but I am surprised at your post towards Stihl considering the nice topic you posted with pics just a couple of days ago.
That was 1973 to 1994
Ancient history.
I love Stihl, but I am simply NOT going to pay the same amount for a small plastic top handle saw that I would pay for an ms 440 magnum or similar.
I'm just in one of my rebellious moods I guess :p
I actually need two top handles for this coming season, and I'm not spending $1300 for them.

That was 1973 to 1994
Ancient history.
I love Stihl, but I am simply NOT going to pay the same amount for a small plastic top handle saw that I would pay for an ms 440 magnum or similar.
I'm just in one of my rebellious moods I guess :p
I actually need two top handles for this coming season, and I'm not spending $1300 for them.
Yea everyone has the moods from time to time. LOL

Why? Your post makes no sense. Let me ask you this. Fiscally speaking, which is less expensive to design and manufacture, a physically larger conventional saw that has a basic design in production for 40 years with numerous competitors on the market, or an ultra lightweight tool where ounces and dimensions are critical but will still withstand the day to day rigors and demands of professional climbers?

$1,000? I can get a new modded 201t delivered to australia for less than that, think theyre around $600US, or a modded 150 for @$700 and a stock 192t for $300+ tax + delivery...

Are you in canada?

My all time favourite TH saw is a modded 150t, unless I'm doing a reasonable size removal it does everything.

A modded 192t is also a damned good saw, reliable, durable, cheap and well made

I would never buy a battery ope tool Ever. I use battery tools every day in construction and know their limitations well. Batteries die, expensive to replace and manufacturers love to change shapes and fittment every tool upgrade.....

I'm pissed off that laptops cost more than desktops even though desktops are more powerful. So I carry my desktop with me everywhere now, and a small petrol powered generator so I can use it on the train while commuting. :wtf:

Go ahead and do the job with a big saw. Or be a big boy and get a few saws and go make some money. 200T's are the big money makers for me, pay for themselves in a day and make more $ over their life than just about any other piece of equipment I've got, including the chipper. I'd gladly pay $1000 for one any day of the week. I've only got 3 left now, and a modded 201T.

Sometimes penny wise is pound foolish. I've got a biddy who was pissed at his high electricity bill since they charge more for electricity during the day, so he just started sleeping in the day and staying up at night to cook, wash his clothes etc. What a nutcase!

I paid $35.00 for my running MS200T, if you can't afford the equipment you probably should not be in the business. What else are you skimping on?

Remember, the practice of thrift begins with the purchase of quality.

Latest posts

Back