Inside the "Triple Nickel"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright you smarties, what's the deal with the external transfers? Is it strictly an "ease of manufacturing" or does it have performance benefit?

OK, the results are in. I had the 555 topend on the 2260 less than 45 minutes after Brown Santa delivered it. My what a difference. Even with almost no run time on the bottom end to break it in, it's substantially stronger than the 555. Be it the stuffers or the ignition/software, it's a big difference. You can lean a lot more on the 2260. Matter of fact, the stock 2260 is stronger than the ported 555! See for yourself. Now don't get me wrong and bad mouth the 555. Remember my first impression of it? It's a very strong saw that will not leave you disappointed. The 562/2260 is just that much stronger though.

Ported 2260

Stock 2260

Ported 555

I don't think the videos do the 2260 justice. The first thing I did after putting the ported topend on it was to go over and make 8 cuts in bar length hardwood. The difference was immediately noticeable. It definitely has more attitude. I wants to rev harder in the cut, allowing you to lean on it harder.

The ported topend is back on the 555. It is now for sale. I'd prefer to sell it with the 20" RSN Husky bar, but would sell it PHO. This was a research project, so I'm not looking to get saw price + the normal porting prices. I'll pass this saw on for what I have in it. It only has 4 tanks of fuel through it. The price is $500 PHO, or $560 with the Husqvarna bar and RS chain. The chain is half gone due to hitting a steel stake. It's been ground, then filed, and the rakers set. PM me if you're interested in a one time deal like this.

could the fact that the stock 2260 is stronger than the ported 555 be because you didn't strictly adhere to the less is more method? in my experience these saws are very very very very very easily over ported.

could the fact that the stock 2260 is stronger than the ported 555 be because you didn't strictly adhere to the less is more method? in my experience these saws are very very very very very easily over ported.
I suppose that's a possibility. However, the ported topend is significantly stronger on the 2260 than the 555. To me, that proves the performance difference between the two saws.

Unfortunately, the 2260 is a bogger. It has a lean bog, even with the stock topend on it. Looks like I'll be needing a EL48 and a software update.
Wow, they are really on top of rectifying this problem. What a joke.

The 555 runs perfectly with no bog of any kind. The 2260 runs stronger, but has the infamous lean bog off idle. You can also here when coming down from WOT. It simply needs more L fuel.

Bologna...

Those saws don't have carb problems. I read it on the interweb...

Either way, you kinda blurred up the ending here brad. So ur keeping the one that doesn't run right, and selling the one that runs with no probz?

Did the new saw do its lean thingy with the ported top end?

Did u try the small transfer covers on the stuffed bottom end?

Did u ever cut the chamber?

What is the capital of Assyria?

Definitely bologna. I needs me a screwydriver kind of carb, lol.

Yes, I'm keeping the 2260, the one with the lean bog off idle. It does it with both the ported topend and modded muffler, and with the stock topend and stock muffler. Besides, I'm looking for the most performance I can get out of this platform. The 562/2260 gives that, as it should.

I did not try the smaller transfer covers on the 2260. I'm getting tired of tearing these things down! Just tonight, I pulled the 555 topend, pulled the 2260 topend, installed the 555 topend on the 2260, removed the that topend from the 2260, re-installed the original topend on the 2260, and re-installed the 555 topend back on the 555. Confused yet?!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I have not cut a combustion chamber yet. I may do that to the 2260..............and then again, I might not:laugh:

The capital of Assyria? Well, that might be more complicated than a 441! I understand that it's had four different capitals!

Back