Interested in buying a decent edger any recommendations ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cycledude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have never owned one so really know next to nothing about them, anything an experienced edger user could tell me could be helpful , thanks.

Are you looking for a stick edger (like a weed eater with edging blade) or regular 4 wheeled edger? For a wheeled edger a good used McClain would be my choice. Ive used them since i was a kid. I see the pros mostly using Stihl 4-mix 90's for stick edgers. Also a weedeater with the green Stihl X line works well if your careful.

You can find good used McClains for well under $100 around metro Atlanta. Many that just need a carb cleaning are sold for $50 or less. I paid $35 for my Honda powered one at a yard sale. Of course the blade was worn about down to about 5".

I have a older McLane Mowers brand edger with a little Briggs engine. I prefer using it to the stick edger I have for my Stihl combi. It is less tiring to push around keep going where I want compared to the stick edger.

I have a Tanaka commercial unit at the shop for sale, been thinking of bringing it home. I have a combi setup, but it's "meh"

No matter how it's spelled I never heard of it before, just goes to show I know next to nothing about edgers .

Back