Interesting Urban Milling project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After much procrastination, hot weather delays over summer, and pathetic excuses, I finally made it back to the tree loppers/milling yard yesterday and today.

The idea of these two days was for me to show the Tree loppers lads how to use the mill.
Of course it has to be the two wettest days so far this year so we had to work in between downpours and in soggy sawdust and mud.

The intention was not to give the lads a full blown tutorial on milling but more about how to basically run the mill.
This was a bit tricky because I would hardly call myself an expert in this mill having only cut up a couple f logs with it.

This is why I decided we would just cut up a few cants so they got the hang of how to set up a log, and reposition it to make an approximately rectangular shaped cants. Turning logs into cants will also save space in the tree loppers yard which is getting crowded with logs.

The first day started with the engine not starting - that turned out to be an air leak in a fuel line connector.
Then I had trouble with the blade that cut perfectly straight last time I used it but yesterday it was rising in the cut..
We eventually gave up on that one and put on a old re-sharpened band. This one had a bit too much hook for my liking but it's all part of the learning experience.

We started on a couple of small Lemons Scented Gums which were relatively dry and HARD.

Then we did several Swamp Mahognays (Eucalyptus robusta).
I have never milled one before and the wood is known to be quite attractive so I was keen to se what it looked like

Here is the first of the bigger logs.
SMG0.jpg

The first cut was pretty spectacular
SMG2.jpg

Before we could do any more the rain set in and we all got soaked.
SMG3.jpg

This shows the side supports I made last year in action - these are working really well and will hold and adjust a fair size log in this position while the top face cut is being made.
That's Denis and Euan having a go.

SMG.jpg

Next we threw on a small Swamp Mahogany and decided to slab this one into 1" boards

SMGslabs1.jpg
Back to Lemon scented gum with Chris getting a go in the drivers seat. At this point the guys were doing it all themselves which let me get out of the rain and into the bog shed to start sharpening some blades - more about that in another post.
SMGslabs1.jpg

Finally Chris gets to have a go on a Lemon Scented Gum
LSG1.jpg

Here is the final stash of cants cut up during the day.
Cantstash.jpg

With these semi squared off cants it will now be quite easy to grab one and cut it up to size to a clients requirements.

I just got home, soaked and grubby but feeling like we still had achieved something .
Now I'm really enthusiastic to get stick into the pile - especially if I can get the odd bit of help like this from time to time.

Thanks GA, The of Euc Rob, density varies quite widely on the same tree and depending on where it grows.

The sorts of numbers I have seen for trees in Western Australia Australia give it a green SG of around 0.85. This also means it's not that hard so it cuts very nicely - a good tree to learn on.

OTOH the Lemon Scented gum has a green SG of 1.15 (that means it sinks in water) and even the air dry density of 0.97 is pretty high.

Latest posts

Back