Intermediate Supports or Jacks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, and the Maki carriage did go shooting off while being sent back down the hill. The yarder engineer needs to remember to slow the carriage down when going over the jack.
Makes me glad I only do ground based logging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How can a judge order land to not have a skidder?
I'm glad we don't have all sorts of rules like that here.

That must be new. A friend contracted with Wire houser for years. They had 2 648s and a 748.
Been that way for a while over here lots of shovel logging if ground and weather permit otherwise it's track skidder.

None? Under any circumstances? Why?
When we asked the only skidder running on their ground here is track or the tigercat with rear bogies. My guess is the tear up from years before.

I can't imagine that the mass of a shovel causes less net soil disturbance due to compaction than a rubber-tired skidder does through agitation. That seems a really arbitrary rule.
No one said they were brilliant, my guess is they'll start limiting shovel size and weight next with the wood getting smaller.

How can a judge order land to not have a skidder?
I'm glad we don't have all sorts of rules like that here.

Because it is federal land and an enviro group sued. One of the main complaints was ground disturbance, so it was either use skyline or helicopter or stay out. I bet you do, or will have such "rules" like that if you have timber sales on federal land.

Because it is federal land and an enviro group sued. One of the main complaints was ground disturbance, so it was either use skyline or helicopter or stay out. I bet you do, or will have such "rules" like that if you have timber sales on federal land.
If they don't have them at the state level they'll be coming one day just give it time and maybe some of the eco freaks will leave here.

Back in the "old days"even flat ground was high lead ground around here. That allowed logging operations to go on into the monsoon season of winter when skidders would bog down or cause too much damage. The head timber guy was a believer in the evils of soil compaction. Then there was a retirement and a new replacement from the dry side of the mountains, and the restrictions in winter operations due to much of the lower lands being elk winter range, and the end of clearcuts so skidders were more economical to run. During the winter, one has to keep a close eye on things when ground based equipment is in use.

I can't imagine that the mass of a shovel causes less net soil disturbance due to compaction than a rubber-tired skidder does through agitation. That seems a really arbitrary rule.

It can certainly "look bad" from a distance when used on steep ground. I was sorry to see a shovel logging operation on a steep slope where a yarder would have worked. It's right in plain view from the highway. Not to worry, they've turned it into a rock pit.

I've been told, countless times, that tires cause more compaction than tracks.

But my experience is that tracks tear a lot more stuff up, and are generally a heavier machine, there for the effect is null.

Mean while a small wheeled skidder is nimble and as long as you are careful of road placement should be hardly any damage at all..

But I don't make policy, I just make messes on private ground.

Latest posts

Back