Introducing the new Log Splitter Line from DHT (Dirty Hand Tools)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
filter position

I would put a 90 degree swept bend on the valve bank and mount the filter there. that way it would be easier to change,and it is out of the way for the cross country boys

Do these stores carry the DHT splitter?....TSC told me that N.Y. was the closest to me selling these units

no idea
i just know that theres stores closer then 3 hours away, thats not in mass.
call them up and ask...

YOU SPOKE.....We Listened!!

Well after all the comments/concerns about the hose clearance we are going to improve our design for those of you that really like to take you splitter deep into the woods. Any current straight fitting pump can be retro fitted with this 90 degree fitting if you like. Future production of all models will include this fitting on our pumps. As soon as inventory runs out of the straight fitting you will only see this design.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Dadgum folks. You can't get much more attuned to customer response than that. You complain and they listen. That is innovative for sure.

Bravo you are going to do well listening to prospective customers.:msp_thumbsup:

couple things
is the suction hose just clear PVC? if so you might want to think about changing that to actual hydraulic suction hose, over time and in sunlight it will become brittle, and the tight bend radius on the hose after installing the 90 deg. elbow, definetly doesnt help, will prob. end up splitting on the outside of the bend...
also in the last pic
on the axle/hydraulic tank, on the top are those machine welds? either way theyre pretty ugly welds...

couple things
is the suction hose just clear PVC? if so you might want to think about changing that to actual hydraulic suction hose, over time and in sunlight it will become brittle, and the tight bend radius on the hose after installing the 90 deg. elbow, definetly doesnt help, will prob. end up splitting on the outside of the bend...
also in the last pic
on the axle/hydraulic tank, on the top are those machine welds? either way theyre pretty ugly welds...

Not just clear PVC. It is UV resistant PVC with an internal metal coil spring. You are seeing a bad reflection from the lights in the shop on the top of the tank. I'll snap some photos of our robotic welds when we get a chance and post them. They are pretty impressive.

well atlease its internal supported and uv resistant..
as for the welds in the pic
so your saying theyre not machine welded...
bad light or not,
theyre still ugly, the welds on the length of the axle are not a consistant width, tells me the operators travel speed is nowhere near consistant.
the welds on the ends of the tank (top espically) doesnt have consistant travel speed nor follows the joint very well
my background is in welding and machining, and ive been welding since i was 9 years old...

Last edited:
well atlease its internal supported and uv resistant..
as for the welds in the pic
so your saying theyre not machine welded...
bad light or not,
theyre still ugly, the welds on the length of the axle are not a consistant width, tells me the operators travel speed is nowhere near consistant.
the welds on the ends of the tank (top espically) doesnt have consistant travel speed nor follows the joint very well
my background is in welding and machining, and ive been welding since i was 9 years old...

Nathon I respectfully disagree. Maybe you want to come to work for us?

Any dealers on the West Coast around Spokane WA at all that I can check out your product? I may be in the market for a splitter in the next year and I'm considering all my options.

good on you guys

Its nice to find a company that actually asks the users about the design of their product, and listens and gives sensible feedback.in an open forum
Usually you SOMETIMES get a sort of [we are going to do that. our design team is working on it] reply No acknowledgement of the people who looked at the product from a user point of view, and made suggestions for improvement, keep it up and you will have a loyal group of owners.

The best advertising is the cheapest and its a satisfied owner, maybe you could have a facebook page for owners also

A few years ago I was involved in a open forum testing of a computer software product, we did all the user testing and the top 50 people who improved the product the most got a free lifetime product code I was in the next group 51- 100, and got a 10yr product code free, That was real cool and it gave a buzz when the new version came out with a nice email and a download key, and you promoted the product instinctively. Shame it has expired now

Last edited:
Nathon I respectfully disagree. Maybe you want to come to work for us?

not the same splitter,
old pic (manual welded) compared to the latest pic (machine welded) not the same splitter, looks like the warning sticker is different looks to be text between the two images of the splitters (all i can make out is "zone") on the machine welded splitter, on the manual welded splitter warning sticker, no text between the splitter images.
also in the 3rd pic of the (machine welded) on the upper right, weld was stopped 3/4"-1" too soon, some call it a "crater" as stated by someone who looked at it IN PERSON early in this post, a crater is usually just from ending the arc too soon at the end of the weld not giving it enought time to fill the crater. that particular weld just wasnt finished, im sure your weld specs calls for it to be welded full?

i simply asked if it was manualy or machine welded,
you stated that on the earlier ones some stuff was welded manually, i was just wondering which it was...

obviously there was a problem with the manually welded parts, why else would you invest in robotics if the welds were fine, espically just coming into the market?
im not saying that the manual welded parts wont hold up, i was just saying to me theyre not very good welds, i take pride in my work, and i like doing the best possible job, something not too many people have these days...
ive always belived that if your going to do something you should do it right.
but for what it is and the target consumer they sould be fine :biggrinbounce2:

not the same splitter,
old pic (manual welded) compared to the latest pic (machine welded) not the same splitter, looks like the warning sticker is different looks to be text between the two images of the splitters (all i can make out is "zone") on the machine welded splitter, on the manual welded splitter warning sticker, no text between the splitter images.
also in the 3rd pic of the (machine welded) on the upper right, weld was stopped 3/4"-1" too soon, some call it a "crater" as stated by someone who looked at it IN PERSON early in this post, a crater is usually just from ending the arc too soon at the end of the weld not giving it enought time to fill the crater. that particular weld just wasnt finished, im sure your weld specs calls for it to be welded full?

i simply asked if it was manualy or machine welded,
you stated that on the earlier ones some stuff was welded manually, i was just wondering which it was...

obviously there was a problem with the manually welded parts, why else would you invest in robotics if the welds were fine, espically just coming into the market?
im not saying that the manual welded parts wont hold up, i was just saying to me theyre not very good welds, i take pride in my work, and i like doing the best possible job, something not too many people have these days...
ive always belived that if your going to do something you should do it right.
but for what it is and the target consumer they sould be fine :biggrinbounce2:

You are right. The second set of pictures is the production product. The first set of pictures with the new pump and hose is a prototype test unit. Purpose was to show the pump not the welds. Point being the production welds are plenty good, and only improving... And to be fair there was never a problem with manually welded parts other than throughput/efficiency, that is why we went to robots.

Thanks,

Nathon...you question and/or statements are a little more confrontational than just wanting to know.

Since you seem to be a cracker jack welder, you should know a weld over and length cannot be welded by hand like it can with robotics. Same as cutting with a laser. The machine is so steady where the hand is not. I certified many times in different circumstances but welds of any length are just better accomplished with the machine. And you don't know that?

Plus, they don't get paid overtime, medical, take smoke breaks, or take a vacation. That sounds good enough to me.

Hey guys, I am fine with folks questioning our product and kicking the tires. I encourage it. As I said earlier there isn't a better performance and quality product per dollar spent out there. If you don't like the welds, then you are always welcome to build one yourself. It might very well be better than ours. I happen to think we have a great product, our retailers are finding that it is doing well with customers, and it is generating profit for them. Our goal is to get more placement as the retail season approaches. The good people on this forum who help spread the word and provide constructive feedback will help us make that happen. For that, we thank you deeply. Let's keep it friendly....please.

Regards,
DHT

Nathon...you question and/or statements are a little more confrontational than just wanting to know.

Since you seem to be a cracker jack welder, you should know a weld over and length cannot be welded by hand like it can with robotics. Same as cutting with a laser. The machine is so steady where the hand is not. I certified many times in different circumstances but welds of any length are just better accomplished with the machine. And you don't know that?

Plus, they don't get paid overtime, medical, take smoke breaks, or take a vacation. That sounds good enough to me.

i understand that a human cant weld long CONTINUIOUS welds, but they sure as hell can lay down better welds than what was shown in the first set of pics i asked about...
i understand that the robots are better for certain applications but not for EVERYTHING, theres a reason why there is such a huge shortage of SKILLED welders across the country, and robotics play a pretty big part in the reason why.
not everything is a production part, you may have a 1 off weldment that has a long weld, you can weld it by hand or with a track, either way you still have to know what the hell your doing.
and youre right that a robot doesnt get paid overtime, medical, take smoke breaks, or take a vacation
but i bet you the consumer does, and without jobs (like the one the robot replaced) you dont have a consumer.

If they hold oil than they are at very least a decent weld. A weld does not have to be pretty to be strong and work:msp_wink:

Mr. HE:cool:

Back