Introducing the Stihl MS201TC - MTronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't have many trees down here, so they don't sell many saws. But I'm glad to hear these new model saws have been out for a while and I'm not reading any neg comments like the 201 had..

I appreciate it. I almost bought a 201C from Brad, but I have a wonderful small dealer locally and wanted to support him for all of the service he provides. The long-term difference between the models wasn't that large in my opinion and I have a few small orange screwdrivers so I can keep her tuned well enough.

He's only about a year behind :)

Dealers here are waaaaay behind then. Most everything has to be ordered. It's frustrating. I'm a tactile person so want to touch and see the item before I buy it. But I'd bet there hasn't been one of the 201TC in this town yet...o_O

I have been looking towards one of these buggers for limbing and working through the deadfall in the area I cut. No to get them to order me one.....

wow..very informative information on these threads...but leaves my head spinning. It sounds like the higher ser# 201T (17755..) and above is a much better saw than the intro 201ts... But the mtronic saws are great too from the reports I've read. So I'm getting a new one ......but which one to get?????? I've got a dealer with a 201t ser# 179..that he's holding for me till Saturday, and can be adjusted, or get a mtronic model which can't be adjusted(?)....which I can always get later.....help me out withthis guys.

The MTronic 201TC for sure.

wow..very informative information on these threads...but leaves my head spinning. It sounds like the higher ser# 201T (17755..) and above is a much better saw than the intro 201ts... But the mtronic saws are great too from the reports I've read. So I'm getting a new one ......but which one to get?????? I've got a dealer with a 201t ser# 179..that he's holding for me till Saturday, and can be adjusted, or get a mtronic model which can't be adjusted(?)....which I can always get later.....help me out withthis guys.

Brad answered the which one earlier...if you are not interested in modifying it then go with the M-Tronic. That's what I'm looking for! Making calls today.

Dealers here are waaaaay behind then. Most everything has to be ordered. It's frustrating. I'm a tactile person so want to touch and see the item before I buy it. But I'd bet there hasn't been one of the 201TC in this town yet...o_O

I have been looking towards one of these buggers for limbing and working through the deadfall in the area I cut. No to get them to order me one.....
It just depends on the distributor and their inventory. We just got 201TC's like in the last month. On the west coast, top handle saws are VERY popular so I gather our distributor just bought a chitload of them standard version.

Brad answered the which one earlier...if you are not interested in modifying it then go with the M-Tronic. That's what I'm looking for! Making calls today.
Yes .. he did ! But was looking for other opinions as well. I was wondering if the owners of the 201t saws that had the stihl factory update ( that certain ser # and up) were happy and had any issues with them. As I said, I have one on hold as they are going to not offer them anymore...

I use mine for a lot of smaller firewood limbing (2"-8") as it's a lot lighter than my 261. Beyond that it's dang handy and nice for bucking smaller limbs to length when I get home that I threw on the trailer to save time during the gathering process.

Bought the 201 T factory revised version while it's still available My decision was based on Stihl telling me today there have been issues with the mtronic in other models,,concerning something causing flooding in the unit. He got into all the specifics, but can't remember everything.

I've heard zero complaints on the 201TC. Without mods they run measurably better than the standard model.
I understand what you're saying completely. But when a top Stihl company headquarters tech that gets all the bulletin's and news from the USA and Germany tells me something that I've not heard, I'm going to believe him. He didn't say the 201tc had the problem, but suspects they will, just a matter of time since the mtronic parts(most)are the same in the models . The mtronic has done well over in Europe, but they treat their equipment different than we do. He said since I'm not changing altitudes, the revised 201t is excellent. In his honest opinion, he told me he'd get the 201t unit, and agreed I can get a mtronic a year from now, since that's all that will be offered. Around here, they have bought out the revised 201t , leaving dealers with only mtronic models coming in. I was lucky to find one of two left from 6 dealers in my area. I'd be glad to give you his name if you want to hear what he says...and yes, I do appreciate your info and post also!

Finally got to use my new 201t that's factory revised (higher ser #)... Very happy with it ..seams to scream....no hesitation....great restarts .

Finally got to use my new 201t that's factory revised (higher ser #)... Very happy with it ..seams to scream....no hesitation....great restarts .
l think they are both good options, they really are the best balanced/performing T/H on the market. lf you have no idea how to tune a two stroke or do different jobs at varying altitudes, l'd say get the Mtronic. But if you can properly tune....you can wring a bit more out of the old model. My guess is that it will hold value well in the future as some prefer manual tuning. Congrats on new saw!! Local dealer relationships are important to some, but for me AS has helped me multiple times so l try to buy all my saws/stuff from sponsers which has suited me better. Get that baby in wood and run it like owes you money!

l think they are both good options, they really are the best balanced/performing T/H on the market. lf you have no idea how to tune a two stroke or do different jobs at varying altitudes, l'd say get the Mtronic.
That's a big reason I didn't go with the mtronic...Louisiana doesn't have varying altitudes....and once the old version is gone, it's gone. I do have another 201t that I'm going to sell, but does not have the upgrades...used it a handful of times.

@blsnelling Brad how does one advance the timing on the 201tc I
Did the timing advance on my 192 but in that saw the keyway was built into the flywheel so extract flywheel file and install. Muffler mod on the 192 was the same way pull off grind and re install. So if you wouldn't mind give me a little pep talk before I tear into this little beast.

Back