Introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x101airborne

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good day, All.
I am Trey. I run several family ranches in South-East Texas and am a rancher, wood cutter, home owner and all around busy as heck person. I signed up here to mainly care for my equipment and get advise from "those in the know". Between my sons and my workhands my equipment has taken a beating and repairs are getting costly enough to raise concern. I am NOT a small engine guy but I am capable of learning. In advance I would like to thank those who have contributed help to the site and will spend much of my future reading older threads.
Just wanted to say "hello" and let yall know what I am about.
I look forward to conversing with all of you.
Trey

Have you read A Tree Climber's Companion by Jepson, or any of Beranek's books yet?

This biz's so dangerous I try to steer family n friends away from it myself.

But if yu gonna do it? The two gent's above should be required reading before leaving the ground.

Welcome to the crazy club Trey!

Jomoco

Oddly enough for an Airborne Soldier, I hate heights. My tree cutting is residential tree trimming and clearing fences for the most part. At best I chop up trees that have fallen in storms for firewood. Im not getting off the ground any higher than the back of my truck. LOL!
I have 5 chainsaws, 2 brush cutters (weed eaters with circle saw blades) and 4 pole saws. My equipment is Echo and Stihl.

How you operate your equipment is a very big deal. Many folks that I know just sell off used stuff and just buy new when equipment need attention. I am an expert at most small engines, but it takes plenty of time to tear down saws to rebuild them. It takes time to replace cutter blades in chippers so there is a balance when to do what. Maintenance must be weighed out compared to buying new. Thanks

Welcome. I live in Arkansas but go to Ft. Worth from time to time to visit in-laws. Not a lot of trees in that area.

I am running ranches from Gonzales County, Lavaca County, Colorado County, DeWitte County and Victoria County.
I have rebuilt a Stihl 029 Pro all by my lonesome so I am not untrainable, you just have to shock me a lot. LOL.
Yesterday, I tore down a 130 weedeater and my big extendable pole saw. Both were having clutch issues. Apparently they had gotten wet and one clutch had frozen locked, the other was frozen unlocked. A little wire brushing and some corrosion-x and I am back in business on both. That alone just saved me 250.00.

I am running ranches from Gonzales County, Lavaca County, Colorado County, DeWitte County and Victoria County.
I have rebuilt a Stihl 029 Pro all by my lonesome so I am not untrainable, you just have to shock me a lot. LOL.
Yesterday, I tore down a 130 weedeater and my big extendable pole saw. Both were having clutch issues. Apparently they had gotten wet and one clutch had frozen locked, the other was frozen unlocked. A little wire brushing and some corrosion-x and I am back in business on both. That alone just saved me 250.00.
Hi, what are you ranching, cattle?
Just curious, that is a lot of land.
Jeff

They are all small family farms of 500 acres or less each. They are just all spread out to hell wont have it.
We are a cattle operation primarily. I do try to slip in some Whitetail management in here and there (food plots, protein feeders) and the turkeys on our place are absolutely protected. I went to the Gonzales County ranch yesterday and there was a newborn Brahma heifer laying in the shade of one of our downed Mesquite trees. Guess they are not totally useless (other than firewood or cutting boards).

Back