Iowa 2015 Fall GTG (October 17, 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Driveway is rough. We might be having a bridge building gtg... We are hearing $35-$45k to fix it decently this time.

Pics from each direction... The culvert in the background is 60" x35'...
2298690b4af2141b83c1788a9b28548f.jpg

214554a8e62cdd4c8852f461f2382f3f.jpg

One way or another we'll have to get it fixed by October so LP truck can get through. My atv/walking bridge ended up 300' north of the culver in the creek. We have since pulled that out and got it back in place. I cabled it to a tree this time so hopefully it will stay closer by if we flood again. Having a 7" rain last year and this year is killing us...

Pic of bridge in creek...
f258386bf22beed70390ebba7d8ac138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are getting quotes of $35-$45,000 to fix that then get a new guy in there. As I have said before put a train tank car in there and forget about it. As was mentioned earlier a low water crossing will work also but that will require more dirt work. Any good contractor worth his/her salt can have a tank car set in there in a day. It is raining here now but I just might run out and try to take some pictures of them here

personally,,that creek, looks like it flows too much water for just one 60 in culvert... two me thinks,,or cut the railcar in half, for two HUGE culverts!! id also pack crushed rock, between the culverts,,and on the sides, and put the concrete top on,,and extend it about 60 feet past the culverts on both sides....and put about 4 inches of concrete, on the upside of the culverts, over the rock, so it cant wash that out either...id also think strongly,,about concrete on the out side of the culverts,,over the rock..ive seen the upside of culverts fixed,,only to have the water back cut,,and take the culverts out. happened in our county,,three times on the same road,,and they still haven't done it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, but the grandeur of doing it...

Tell Shaun to take some measurements and draw something up..

We could do it.
How many pounds will it have to support?
Lol.

:reading::reading::reading::reading: up on post and beam construction.
Would take some study and thought..
I been meaning to build a timber framed 3 level barn.
A bridge would be a cool project.
There are 2 schools of thought on bridges here in the Ozarks.
1. Just let the flood roll over the top.
2. Avoid run off water by going over it.

And we get a lot of run off here.

Here is a at grade crossing. This is what replaced and old iron bridge. As you can see much more dirt work is required to do this. There are 40 foot long 8 fott wide 12 inch thick concrete pads in the base

1.jpg

What's the dimensions and wall thickness on those monsters Bill?
The tank/culvert.

They are really not all that thick. I really do not want to guess. I will try to measure Monday. I believe this one was actually a upright fertilizer tank. I know Ron ran the excavator and I ran the dozer and we had it done in about 6 hrs. That included digging out the old mess.

Latest posts

Back