Iowa 2015 Fall GTG (October 17, 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even with 1/4" wall tanks, unless you have the sides very tightly packed tight, I have seen them crush downward & required vertical supports inside.

How high from the creek floor does the water get during a normal storm & how high during extreme ones?

If the large culverts were reinstalled with a concrete road over top & the concrete was allowed to lock in the culverts on the back side so they will not be washed out, would it allow for the "normal" storm flow then act as a low water crossing during the extreme ones?

Even with 1/4" wall tanks, unless you have the sides very tightly packed tight, I have seen them crush downward & required vertical supports inside............................

That tank has supported 500 bushel loads. The neighbor pulls 1000 bushel across his. There is no doubt a proper install is key

This was Nathan Saturday. 10 ft x 24 ft 1/4 think.

9a6b1edfdcbe57bb8f1cec6213797420.jpg

He found it in South Dakota.

0dc796c50e52599b936e74259c9b95e5.jpg

Nathan got some good info from one of the county engineers on how to install.

Looks good.

That will do the trick. Did any of the state DOT guys give you trouble?

This was Nathan Saturday. 9.9 ft wide x 24.8 ft long x 1/4 thick.
He found it in Hartington NE (almost SD, just south of Yankton).
Nathan got some good info from one of the county engineers on how to install.
Fixed a few typos above...

I did get some really great info on how to install these cheap and rock solid. I'm going to be begging some friends for help along the way (thanks for the chains and binders, Doug!), but I figure it will get done... I kept getting 20-30K quotes for install so I decided it was time to be my own foreman and just arrange and hire just the labor I need (ie:big backhoe to drop in the hole). I'll post the unload video if I can.

Looks good.
That will do the trick. Did any of the state DOT guys give you trouble?
Nope, I actually went to the trouble of getting a $10 oversized load permit and just followed the flag and banner directions on the back of the permit.

What Doug didn't mention is that I drove up to Hartington NE from Indianola, IA. 4.5-5hr each way. Rented the truck and trailer from the guy that sold me the tank/tube so I had 2 round trips up to this guy in 3 days plus unloading that thing

There are other ways Stueve. Just gotta ask. Is 410 getting the cants for the gtg? Or too early yet. I may be able to help with those. PM me.

98105c5364d54ed7e00498b1dcb2818e.jpg

d446b308502f339bffe8b24ba3a192e1.jpg

Well it's a good thing I bought cable for the bridge and hooked it up to that big maple!!! Dang creek, now i have yet another afternoon tied up in moving the bridge back into place.

There are other ways Stueve. Just gotta ask. Is 410 getting the cants for the gtg? Or too early yet. I may be able to help with those. PM me.

Not sure on cants... At this point I'm going to be scrambling to get the driveway back in by the gtg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have a job now ya know.
If u need some help ask and Ill try to help out.
Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that!

Right now there are several things I'll need help with or need to find the time to get them done...

1.) Need to find the time to get the carb kit into the ford 4000 and also convert it to the 12v system. I'll need it for #2.

2.) I'm hoping I can get a oxy/ace torch and a portable welder/generator rounded up. There are some repairs needed on the tube. Also need to weld some "skirts" onto both ends of the tube to prevent water from cutting down the sides of it. There will be plenty of torch and welding work to go around for 5 guys on a Saturday work day.

After the tube is ready... I'll hire a BIG trackhoe to prep the stream bed and drop the culvert in. Back fill and rip rap will probably be taken care of by the backhoe company...

'Drawbridge'!
Philbert

Trust me that thought has been suggested by more than one person, along with alligators in the creek for a more foreboding moat!

A bridge is the best option but building a timber bridge that will hold a concrete/LP truck will take alot of wood and time, and honestly talent that I don't have...

I was referring to transporting the tube. But if you need help otherwise let me know. I have good sized skidloader, plate compacter and other toys. Mostly a matter of work schedule. Good luck

I was referring to transporting the tube. But if you need help otherwise let me know. I have good sized skidloader, plate compacter and other toys. Mostly a matter of work schedule. Good luck
Tentative plan is to rent a big trackhoe and get a good size work party together and do it all on a Friday/Saturday.

Shaun said he's got a 4kw gen he can bring so we'll have power for my welder and grinders.

Need that plate compactor for the top dirt for sure, Nate!!!!!! Might need a good heavy machinery operator in the track hoe too! [emoji6]

Umm... Need to located a big trash pump to dam and bypass the creek water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about good. I only get one weekend per month off, but if I know far enough ahead I could burn a couple days of vacation. Are you sure 4kw is enough, I have an 8kw gen if I can make it. Might want more than one welder, that's a big tube. Might consider just hiring contractor excavator to set tube. Might not be much more than rental. Don't forget rigging for the tube. Big DO IT YOURSELF project, do lotsa plannin. Hope I can help out with it.:cry::cry:

Stihlx8 has a good point that having a contractor do the excavator work will probably be cheaper than you renting the excavator, paying for the fuel, & delivery/pick-up of the machine. If you were planning a month long job where you were paying for 3 weeks but getting 4 weeks of rental it might pay to rent.

Remember in most cases 8 hour on the hour meter is considered a day's rental. If you have it for 2 days but put 32hours on the machine you get charged for 4 day's rental.

Nathan did you get the road in this weekend? Just wondering how the work is progressing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nathan did you get the road in this weekend? Just wondering how the work is progressing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think he's on a vacation right now, so I'm pretty sure no work was done on his road. Not sure when he's to return home.

Back