Iowa Charity Cut -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2664ec7b85606b8bdb20738fb1760c36.jpg

Have not measure with a tape measure yet. Good way to tell the trees are getting bigger.

I had a great time, wish I could have made it Friday evening. I would have liked to spent some more time talking saws.

Boy if I had known I was going to life the chunks that I spilt with the Bobcat I would have split them smaller.

Let me know if you need a hand delivering this winter, I'm just around the corner.

Thanks for the hospitality.
John

The splitter did good on Saturday. Needs some tweaking. Thursday I realized the drive shaft was wrong size and could not find one. Stihlx8 found the correct size yoke and installed it. Friday the oil filter blew a gasket and the filter would not spin off. To much of a surge from the dump valve. Bypassed the filter since the splitter had two filters. Saturday started easier. I challenged the spiltter till it wouldn't split some giant pieces. Turned up the relief pressure from the stock 2000 psi and it started eating the giant pieces. Four way worked great. The beam will flex when cutting wood sideways.

Winch needs a close center valve body not open center.
I slowed down the return stroke with a adjustable flow divider. The divider will be removed and moved to the jack, boom and winch.
The ground speed is to fast. The jack and lift arm are to fast. The winch is also to fast.
One of the drive wheels is needing new seals. It leaks.

So some new plumbing to slow a few things down. Plus some more counter weight in the back or a wheelie wheel. Used about 7 gallons of diesel for the hard day of splitting.

I almost hate to ask but... With all those trees being split up, and the creepers and crawlers displaced in the process, aren't they just going to swarm every tree in their neighborhood? I'm sure the local birds probably gained about 150 pounds from the ones they caught, but there's always a few that get away.

The splitter did good on Saturday. Needs some tweaking. Thursday I realized the drive shaft was wrong size and could not find one. Stihlx8 found the correct size yoke and installed it. Friday the oil filter blew a gasket and the filter would not spin off. To much of a surge from the dump valve. Bypassed the filter since the splitter had two filters. Saturday started easier. I challenged the spiltter till it wouldn't split some giant pieces. Turned up the relief pressure from the stock 2000 psi and it started eating the giant pieces. Four way worked great. The beam will flex when cutting wood sideways.

Winch needs a close center valve body not open center.
I slowed down the return stroke with a adjustable flow divider. The divider will be removed and moved to the jack, boom and winch.
The ground speed is to fast. The jack and lift arm are to fast. The winch is also to fast.
One of the drive wheels is needing new seals. It leaks.

So some new plumbing to slow a few things down. Plus some more counter weight in the back or a wheelie wheel. Used about 7 gallons of diesel for the hard day of splitting.

Is there good video of this manly splitter in action?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So I been playing with some new software, and still figuring out setting on my GoPro, but I did manage to capture most of the days progress, in time lapse. Started out right away in the morning for a couple hours, then my battery ran out. It picked back up in the afternoon, where there was about 4 hours worth of footage captured in timelapse. Enjoy! It looks better if you go full screen and watch it in 1080p. I might upload a 4k one, if Youtube will let me upload 7+GB file! :D

Magazine Article on Other 'Wood Bank' Programs

Interesting, 6 page article in the current TCIA magazine on firewood assistance programs:
http://tcia.org/digital_magazine/tci-magazine/2016/06/index.html#?page=26

They use the term 'wood bank' and reference a map of 65 programs around the US:
http://www.woodbank.org/wood-banks-directory-map/

Could be of interest to A.S. members who want to participate in one of these programs, but do not live close to one of the ones in the active threads on the forum.

Philbert

Might want to start smaller, say a Facebook group, and then try and bug some of the organizers of those groups to join it, share ideas, horror stories, whatever..

Back