Iowa Charity Cut -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno, seems kind of strange that they can't come up with a price for the blueberry. I , personally, think the Tool Cat is more versatile and can handle a lot more. Even the Vermeers do a better job in a more compact package.
When it comes to loader work, a good wheel loader is the best suited for the task, minus a couple things. We here in the states are 90% skid steer 10% wheel loader. But in Europe it's the opposite. I really think to get the benefits of the wheel loader, you have to go next size/weight/manufacturer up in scale and price. The new compacts accept all the same attachments as the Bobcat skid steers.
gehl-articulated-loader-540-glamour-left-hero.png

No your not helping. This is what I have been told. They do the work of four people. Never late and don't call in sick. Don't complain and don't show up hungover.

Speaking of not helping...

Things Doug needs for next year.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

IMG_0647.JPG

or... http://www.blockbuster-inc.com/22-22.html

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

fer sure!

So that would have been good for the 10 or so perfectly straight logs there was in the pile, the rest needed a little more attention.

Maybe my calculations and assumptions are off here but it seems like we were held back in production by a shortage of splitters?
Not that what we did get done was any thing to be ashamed of.

Ideal straight logs are limited.

The splitters we had were worked hard. Some more higher volume splitters could have helped production. Plus the saw freaks need to run their saws. As a splitter freak I am upgrading the motor on the smaller super split. Using the gas motor that was on the Kewanee conveyor last fall. Same as bigger super split. Plus I have obtained surplus rubber belting to put on the Kewanee. Still unsure how to convert it to belt. But I know people have done the conversion.

Just as I was heading out Saturday, there was a problem with the Kewanee. What happened? Belt looked like it was going really slow, so maybe something had to be tightened. Just curious. That thing helped a bunch!!

The kewanee would jam up with wood coming back in the bottom. A few times it was just difficult to find the blockage. One small piece did make it all the way to the bottom. Then once a piece was jammed on the top. The bigger Rapat conveyor did have some motor fuel problems but AWOL save the afternoon my cleaning out the carburetor. The electric motor and belt drive did help from breaking any chain. The gas motor was just two powerful. I ended up using a 14"pulley with 3/4 " pulley on the electric drive motor. I thought the speed of both conveyors was ok.

I look at it from a different angle.
Down here, we have a different access to machinery. If we get to have machinery at all. The highest production we had was at Mansfield, because of the machinery that was able to come. 17 cord. Usually it's in the 8-11 cord range. But, we have different circumstances down here.
Given the amount of wood produced Saturday, I saw very few problems. Yes, the splitters had a few times where they couldn't keep up. Mainly due to difficult wood. But overall they did a very good job of staying with it.
The only place I saw a need, would be to have a couple of crews taking wood from the pile and palletizing it. That would make it easier on Doug.

The kewanee would jam up with wood coming back in the bottom. A few times it was just difficult to find the blockage. One small piece did make it all the way to the bottom. Then once a piece was jammed on the top. The bigger Rapat conveyor did have some motor fuel problems but AWOL save the afternoon my cleaning out the carburetor. The electric motor and belt drive did help from breaking any chain. The gas motor was just two powerful. I ended up using a 14"pulley with 3/4 " pulley on the electric drive motor. I thought the speed of both conveyors was ok.

I agree. Speed was fine. A shield, of some type, on the bottom of the kewanee could prevent wood from coming back into the bottom of it and jamming it.

Maybe my calculations and assumptions are off here but it seems like we were held back in production by a shortage of splitters?
Not that what we did get done was any thing to be ashamed of.

We were diffidently a splitter down. Those super splits have their place but they struggle with the knot ridden and crotch pieces. I think Hedgerow's old school hydro with the retrofit 4 way had the most volume of the day.

Latest posts

Back