Iowa Charity Cut -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sunday we have a big delivery set to help multiple families! Then on Sunday we have another delivery set up! THANKS to all of you that help make this possible. You are wonderful people! :)
If possible please take pics of the deliveries. Be nice to see the face and smiles of those in need getting something they deserve. Be sure to show em the group photo. I still have warm fuzzies from that day and can't wait to do it again!!

On a side note how's the stacking of the pile coming along? Any guesses to how much was cut n split?

If possible please take pics of the deliveries. Be nice to see the face and smiles of those in need getting something they deserve. Be sure to show em the group photo. I still have warm fuzzies from that day and can't wait to do it again!!

On a side note how's the stacking of the pile coming along? Any guesses to how much was cut n split?

No stacking yet. Still dark in the mornings. In the summer I will stack before sun rise and have plenty of time to get ready for work. Was going to start this week but it was raining hard. If I would have piled the wood where I see it everyday I would have already started stacking.

It did not take long for people to start loading up the 3 cord of wood.

4ad3ce034e15bc7e1af774d896b0b613.jpg

54e1a20fd835ee602123c9e6787a8d03.jpg

db6fdb2a3fc0717025c1849a75f8cfce.jpg

Thought is was time to pull this thread back up to the top of the list with some comments from our visit to Waukee and participating in the Charity Split GTG. We have been traveling across the country over the past month(Waukee, Paul Bunyon Show, Mother Earth News, and National lawn/garden show last week) showing the splitter so this week we have a breather so time to catch-up. Lets cover the topics in priority order if you don't mind.

# 1. The Charity - we were very excited to be invited to participate in this special event. The time, talents, equipment, effort that goes into not only the day of, but also the prep work, should be highly commended. As I have described the event to people back here in Central Illinois and other areas we interact with the response is 100% positive with normally a follow-up comment about "what a really neat idea" ! Seeing the follow-up photos of loads ready for delivery or being delivered kind of brings back the good feeling that seemed to exist throughout the day as the pile of firewood grew. Here is a perspective that I would like to share about how this pay it forward mentality works. The group spent the day cutting/ splitting over 20 cord of firewood to help out others in need. Lets just say that those 20 cords get sent out in face cord batches on average so that directly impact about 60 families. Each of those families probably uses 15 pieces of firewood in a day which means that their face cord of wood nets them about 19 days worth of heat/cooking. Extend that out across the 60 families and the charity group's one day of effort turns into 19 x 60 = 1140 days of positive impact on those families. That's what I call a charitable effort. CONGRATS TO ALL!!!

#2 The People - Hats off to Doug/Marcy for organizing and leading the effort to make this day happen. To everyone else we met and worked with from morning to evening we enjoyed the conversations and learning more about farms, businesses, and families. Nothing, but good people hanging out that day.

#3 The Food - WOW! Lets see where to start... Breakfast casserole, bacon, sticky buns, cake, bbq, chilli, beans, etc, etc AND PIES!!! By the way do I have to officially count the last piece of blackberry pie I took back to the hotel for a late night snack. Thanks to everyone that helped put together the spread throughout the day.

#4 The Equipment - The least important part of the day. You guys have some fun stuff. Doug you were right when you asked if I had ever seen/run ported saws. I'm not used to seeing chainsaws eat through wood like they did that day. I also now know where all the old saws go. You guys re-incarnate them as monster wood eating machines. As far as splitters go it was great to see the combination of kinetic and hydraulics. Had not had the chance to run a super split special edition before so that was a great opportunity to try it out. The hydraulic splitter was probably one of the nicer/biggest hydraulics I had ever seen. Workmanship/design was very good. You could see the effort that went into it and I still can't believe it was "home made". Finally, we tried to let anybody/everybody try out the Split Second unit throughout the day so we could get as much feedback as possible. We considered the day a great success from that standpoint. We received good/bad comments from all which is the honest feedback we were looking for. This will help us continue to improve our units going forward. We look forward to continuing the discussion in the future.

LASTLY
#5 Re-Read #1 because that is truly what they day was all about.

Thanks again for inviting us to participate.

Carl/Mike

Doug, grind off the rivets holding the cross bar to the chain with your 4" angle grinder, beat the cross bar straight then you can use bolts with lock nuts to re-attach it. I had to do it to about half of the ones on my elevator when I got it.

The guy I got it from had attempted to dump a bucket full of gravel on it thinking to move gravel into he horse barn. Needless to say, the chain broke, in 5 different places. Maybe if he would have let the gravel trickle from the bucket it would have worked.

Latest posts

Back