Is a Stihl 044 up to the task on an Alaskan style MIll?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourwheelinj1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older 044 i picked up years ago and I have recently been thinking about buying a alaskan style sawmill. It would be for very light hobby sawing. Mainly in oak, cedar, walnut. I want to make fireplace mantels, trailer deck boards, etc. I know a 660 or so would be better, but with a milling chain and going slow will the 044 be able to handle it?

I have an older 044 i picked up years ago and I have recently been thinking about buying a alaskan style sawmill. It would be for very light hobby sawing. Mainly in oak, cedar, walnut. I want to make fireplace mantels, trailer deck boards, etc. I know a 660 or so would be better, but with a milling chain and going slow will the 044 be able to handle it?
How wide of boards?

I use a pair of 440's for most of my milling under 20". Bigger than that I break out one of the big saws. Keep your chain sharp and saw in good working order and it will mill most average stuff

I have used an older 044 with a 36" bar with an alaskan mill. Your chain needs to be sharp and if moves slowly through hard woods, but it does work. I have milled logs in the 25" range this way, both soft and hardwoods. Not the most powerful saw to use, but it will work.

Latest posts

Back