Is a Stihl 510 really worth this much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proof

Thanks to Magnus over at "Chainsaw Collectors" I'm now convinced they were produced.

STIHLS10TopHandle.jpg

There you have it ladies and gentlemen:clap: Thanks for doing the leg work for us. As I've always said, the top-handled S10 is the rarest of the family. That's why I paid over $100 for mine, much more than I paid for the other two.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen:clap: Thanks for doing the leg work for us. As I've always said, the top-handled S10 is the rarest of the family. That's why I paid over $100 for mine, much more than I paid for the other two.

Good to know, nice to learn more saw info, will look at Brads picts again, is yours a tru S10 with the S10 muffler? So a top handled S10 differs in what way from the 08, just the name tag and muffler?

Dave.

Good to know, nice to learn more saw info, will look at Brads picts again, is yours a tru S10 with the S10 muffler? So a top handled S10 differs in what way from the 08, just the name tag and muffler?

Dave.

I can't prove it, but I believe it to be all original. Both of my S10s have the cast aluminum muffler, and my early 08S has the steel muffler.

I can't prove it, but I believe it to be all original. Both of my S10s have the cast aluminum muffler, and my early 08S has the steel muffler.

I think yours would be the real deal Brad, now that we know there is the real deal out there, I would have suspected a fake if you didn't have the aluminum muffler. :)

Another interesting difference in these saws is the kill switch, or the lack there of. The 08 has no kill switch. The 08S does. The earliest ones had a push button. They later went to a toggle switch found in the same location. My top-handled S10 has the hole for the early push button, but the botton is actually missing. I don't know if the wire is under the cover or not. The rear-handled S10 has a slide switch operated with a wire lever.

Thanks to Magnus over at "Chainsaw Collectors" I'm now convinced they were produced.

STIHLS10TopHandle.jpg

Cool, I "buy" that documentation!

It is interesting that they seem to admit that it is not a quality saw! :jawdrop::laugh::laugh:

I guess the marketing guys weren't as professional back then as they are today.......

Since my 08S came with that cast aluminum muffler that came only on the S10 then what would that make my saw? Now I can start making top handle S10`s by just combining the top handle from 08S`s and calling them ,"rare". LOL
Many thanks to the members here for clearing this little mystery up.

Pioneerguy600

Cool, I "buy" that documentation!

It is interesting that they seem to admit that it is not a quality saw! :jawdrop::laugh::laugh:

I guess the marketing guys weren't as professional back then as they are today.......

Maybe not a quality saw of their time but there seem to be a lot of them still out there working and cutting as that body design is also used on the concrete cut off saws.

Pioneerguy600

Perhaps my favorite Stihl is the S-10. I have a rear-handle one that cuts like a dream and is fun to run. Recently got a top-handle S-10 in decent shape, but I put a kit in the carb and it's flooding too bad to run. Gonna fix it soon.

S 10 / 08 S Both are very dependable work horses!

I know this is an older thread but I will still put in my 2 cents. The S 10 top handle / rear handle saws were sold from 1968 to 1972. My father purchased a new top handle version in 1969. There is a hole for a kill button as was found on the 08 but on the economy version (S 10) the button was not included. It came with the aluminum muffler which 42 years later is still in heavy use. (I have cut 20 cords so far this year.)
I have 2 - S 10 top handle saws and an 08 S. All three saws run well and start easily. I believe there were both 44 & 47 cm stroke models of the S 10 sold. Both of my S 10s perform at the same level as the 08 S so I believe they have the 47 cm stroke the 08 S has.
The fuel to oil mix is listed the manual as 20:1 during the first 50 hours then 25:1 using a 30 weight oil. I have been running mine at 32:1 for over 30 years without any problems. When I tried mixing 25:1 using mixing oil, the saws threw up a smoke screen that choked me out.
I have a 25" bar on the 08 S and 16" bars on the S 10s using .404 x 63 chain. I tried 3/8" chain on one saw because every one was telling me how much faster it would cut but I didn't notice any different & changed it back to .404.

**HINT**
To start these saws, use the trigger lock to hold the throttle half open. Since I have to choke the saws to kill them, I always leave the choke off for the first pull to keep from flooding them. Half the time they start on the first pull. If not, THEN I will use the choke.

Last edited:
Back