Is a Website a worthwile investment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But a lot of Web Designers and SEO folks laud "ranking" a bit too highly. I'd say that "optimization" would be the best approach. If the key words are on the home page or site, and the company name, it can be found.

Optimization is the process of tweaking a website to get better rankings. Like tuning an engine to get a faster time at the track. The faster track time is the goal; engine tuning is a means to achieving that goal.

Same with optimizing a web site. You optimize to get better rankings.

Optimization is the process of tweaking a website to get better rankings. Like tuning an engine to get a faster time at the track. The faster track time is the goal; engine tuning is a means to achieving that goal.

Same with optimizing a web site. You optimize to get better rankings.

For speed, seems that tuning for time could fall more into Google's computing speed, a searchers connection speed, and therefore the size of code and images on a website. Like using CSS and HTML would help speed for loading time, versus a big Flash file. Or, using 50K of images versus 300 K of images.

But I suppose your analogy works in one way of thinking, although I've thought of the optimizing more like as attaining a status, than a race for a finish line.

It is true though, that optimization really can't hurt. If done right, it rarely will lower a ranking spot for display. And it won't make a site harder to find.

I've still been amused by one landscape designer website though. One of the oldest websites in Oregon for the landscape or tree trades. The tags are only half what they could be. The images have no alt tags, and there are hardly any inbound links. Yet for 5 years at least, that I've looked at it, its in the highest slots.

The reason I've watched that site, is because its one that may offer some insight as to how much weight Google puts on the age of a domain name. And my estimation is about 20% worth of importance.

There's been a lot of landscape contracting companies really pushing for search results the past couple of years. And last time I searched "Portland Landscape", they landscaping companies still had not bumped that designer off the first page of search results. Although, it did finally move down about 3 positions last autumn.

I'm not even sure if the designer really needs the site anymore. But one thing is certain. If she quits the trade someday, and doesn't care for web presence anymore, that URL would be rather valuable for someone in landscape design to acquire, if the site-age factor is real. Especially if a new owner of the URL would make a few fine tunings as you call them.

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new to this forum, but I have been "lurking" for a few weeks.
I own/operate a Stump Grinding LLC primarily on the weekend(s) and after work.

I have often thought about adding/creating a Website to compliment my other advertising, yellow pages, craigslist, local paper and an occasional circular. Problem is that I would need to have it built and hosted as I do not have the expertise to perform those tasks. Having a Website built, designed & hosted can cost some big money. (too me anyway)
For those of you that have a website, would you say it was worth the expense? Also note that I am working "part time".

Absolutely. Just a simple site with contact info to start. Consider some pics of yourself and your equipment showing in a workmanlike manner.

I started my web site back in 97-8 if memory serves

Also consider a before, during, and after photo set to show what you can do.

I was lucky enough to find a woman on Cragislist that does web design. She wanted to barter for some yard/tree work. I am so impressed with my website. It generates over half of my business and I get many compliments on it.

Hey Grind,

I am a part timer as well. But part timer doesn't half azzed so I made a decision up front that I needed a good looking site. A lot of people in the business around here project an unprofessional image. When I place adds, I am proud to list my site and direct them to the site for more information.

I run the same theme through all my adds and business cards.

I am lucky though that I enjoy creating websites and was able to create mine.

Regestering the name, hosting with go daddy, and email etc was about $60 for the year.

Take a look www.cutclipandhammer.com.

If you like the look, maybe we can work out some deal. Maybe even a trade of some sort.

Think about it.

Stephen

There are several very important questions a person needs to ask and answer for themselves as they enter and navigate the web building market.

1. Can the builder I'm considering build me the website I want, the way I want it?

2. Will I be able to administrate the content of my site at will and with no cost, without spending months learning how?

3. Will my potential customers be able to find me easily on the internet, or will I have to hire a second person/firm to perform SEO work at additional cost? (Looking at how other sites from that builder rank can give some idea as to this answer.)

If all a person desires is a web presence and a static site, #2 may not matter much. If a person intends to put their web address directly in their customers hands, and not worry about being found in the search engines, #3 may be unimportant. But in order to maximize the return for your time/money spent on web building and optimizing, ultimately all three are very important, and failing to address any will likely result in starting over at some point, and wasted time and money.

Research and spend wisely, it's your ROI and personal satisfaction on the line.

Latest posts

Back