Is an MS310 worth rebuilding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been given an MS310 with a badly scored P & C. It's missing a muffler and air filter cover as well. I haven't cracked it open yet so there might easily be more wrong at this point. My understanding is that this is a consumer saw, not a pro grade, and I wonder if it's worth the investment to fix. A quick look around puts parts at about $175 plus my time. What would you do? Thanks!

There's been talk of Baileys coming out with shortblock replacements for them soon. As for the muffler and the air cleaner cover, you might be able to score something used in the trading post.

Really depends on how much you like working on them. The final product will have a street value of $200~250 or so.

If you want to make money: part it out on ebay.
If you don't like working on saws: sell it as is
If you like a project: fix it up!

Worst thing about 310's is the cost of pistons. Aftermarket pistons are not available for them, so you're going to be close to the $100 mark just for the piston. You need to find out why it scored before throwing any money at it. Running without a muffler would certainly do it.

I wouldn't rebuild it as a 310, but I would definitely rebuild it as a 390.

**edit**
If you don't want it, let me know and I might be interested.

keep it and wait for the Bailey's 390 P&C kit, once that kit is installed then decide if you want to keep long term or ebay

You may be waiting indefinately. This topend has been "in the works" for a long time already. It would definately be nice if they did come out with one though. I would think it would be one of their hottest seller, since the 290 is one of Stihls biggest sellers.

If you need another saw rebuild it and run the crap out of it and be happy. My husky 55 is gonna take about $175 to rebuild. Im going to to do it so i have a nice little 50cc saw.

Back