is it just me?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hupte

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does there seem to be lots of free firewood lately? I'm guessing its due to the eab? firewood lots, tree services other firewood burners, all of them are stocked full of firewood, logs, etc... I wonder if its just around here? or if its everywhere. what are your experiences?? is firewood scarce in your area? or is there plenty?

even after the summer storm that took out a good portion of our old growth (second really) there is a lot of free wood to be had! with that having been said before there is still the factor of lazy people with no ambition to help them selves!! these people are the one's that will buy advertised wood that someone else just picked up and has it for sale! now! they are just waiting for you to deliver it and fill their stoves/furnace's for them, as well on call! the local mill just told me that with my next semi load of grade white pine red pine and red oak the price is going to drop with a full market for saw timber! !" everyone's full up" ! supply and no demand? go figure? firewood is for the chips.

so maybe it is all due to the eab, working its way across the country. in a couple years there might not be a lick of free firewood around here.

i agree with the above posts.
i have had 2 truckloads of firewood here ready in rounds. free for the taking.
cannot give it away!
the catch is they have to agree not to resell it. if they need it they can get it for free.
1st guy says he's interested, sets a time for pickup. calls me and asked is it already split? i said no. he never showed!
2nd 3rd 4th never show!
hardly anyone heats with wood here anymore. so i still have 2 loads setting here! that need removed before we drop the other 11 trees.:wtf:

"Free" firewood around here seems to be... "oh, there's a pile of logs on the landing".
Bad enough that they steal it, but they make a mess of the piles too. Cut pieces out of the middle of the logs, so we end up with a bunch of 10-15ft pieces.

free wood can be had here it is usually wood the oak and hickory snobs don't want but i take it anyway. tulip poplar,pine,sassafras,silver maple,hackberry,

even after the summer storm that took out a good portion of our old growth (second really) there is a lot of free wood to be had! with that having been said before there is still the factor of lazy people with no ambition to help them selves!! these people are the one's that will buy advertised wood that someone else just picked up and has it for sale! now! they are just waiting for you to deliver it and fill their stoves/furnace's for them, as well on call! the local mill just told me that with my next semi load of grade white pine red pine and red oak the price is going to drop with a full market for saw timber! !" everyone's full up" ! supply and no demand? go figure? firewood is for the chips.

I agree some people are lazy and cheap.
But others don't have the equipment or the space needed to produce firewood.
For some, it's cheaper and easier to just buy wood that is already produced.
A lot depends on what wood is available and how it gets processed.
I've been producing firewood for myself for many many years and then I started selling the surplus a number of years ago and I have seen wood trends come and go.
I've been at it long enough to have enough regulars that I hardly advertise anymore.
I like that because it helps keep me under the radar.
I've turned my attention to cooking wood because it's a year round.
My phone has rang 10 times just while I was typing this post.
Species will vary depending on location and availability.
A lot of different factors can make or break a wood selling or buying outfit.
The market is always going to fluctuate a bit.
The good part is wood (if properly stored) is a non perishable product, unlike the garden and produce I tried to sell years ago.
I f you have room to properly store your wood it will last a long tome.

Lots of free wood available right now after our big windstorm last week. Facebook & cl are full of ads for free wood. Still a lot of houses without power. Firewood Sales were a little slow this year because it was so mild last winter. People hardly burned anything.

There's no shortage in this neck of the woods but I haven't seen any free wood. Around here, we have a lot of wood scroungers and many are out to make a fast buck off crap. Have to be careful with delivered wood here, they'll unload sweet gum, punky stuff... anything.

Latest posts

Back