Is it normal for Chainsaw to leak bar oil if left idling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My limited experience with the CS440 is the same thing. Its always sittin in a puddle of oil. I never bothered to look into why. Hate the saw anyway! LOLOLOL

Sorry Zane, don't agree. The Echo is probably what I'll get next to carry on my quad when I play. Small, compact and if it breaks or gets stolen oh well. The warranty would be null and void if a new Husky or Stihl was smashed to pieces after being run over by the quad or dropped down a hillside. Right now I carry the Crapsman, with all of the anti kickback link ground off it works decently, nothing compared to the 455 but it'll get a tree out of the way in an emergency and who cares if something happens to it.
As to the oiler, the Crapsman does this since the oiler does run all the time but just buy cheap oil:)

Oiling at idle when the chain isn't running is normal, all of the Echo saws we have owned do the same thing, the oiler is engine driven, not driven from base of the clutch hub. Set the oiler to deliver the correct amount of oil in the cut, and you'll just have to deal with puddling under the saw if you leave it idling for any length of time.......Cliff

Help a chainsaw newb out... None of my previous cheapies would do this (pull-on brand chainsaws).
I'm already on my 2nd CS-400 Echo saw from home cheapo (I know about the dealer bit, but I got $300 on HD gift cards that my dealer wouldn't take lol) Th 1st one I returned would also puddle oil when idling (And no, the idle is not too high that the chain moves while idling). The 2nd one I bought also did the same thing. If I adjust the oiler all the way down, the puddling would stop, but then the bar would run dry. They both didn't leak when engine is off. I also removed the B&C and inspected them. Neither one cut any wood so yes they were both immaculately clean. Is this normal? They both coat the chains with a good amount of oil when running. I don't feel like returning the 2nd saw too if they all do this. I almost got the Husky 350 instead from Lowe's but alas I only had $150 GC with them. Do huskies do this too?

Nice bunch of people on here, most have never run a Echo yet they spout off about them. Some oil some don't, I think most Echo's do. Just don't leave it idling on the kitchen floor. I might have gotten the Husky 350 just for the extra cc's but you'll find more metal in the Echo. If your just cutting smaller stuff it wouldn't matter much which saw your running. Steve

You pretty much hit it right on the head Mountainlake. If it's a 1"-6" piece of wood a Crapsman, Echo, Thingy, Stihl and Husky are going through it about the same. It's when you get into the 12"+ that Husky and Stihl shine. There is a place for all saws (once a year pruning homeowner to loggers), that's why they sell them.

Back